Line vs. instrument levels

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
The more I think about this the more confused I get. I have a Helix rack that I plug my guitar into.Guitar into Helix
then
Helix FX Send to Syn 2 input

Syn 2 FX send to Helix return

Helix main out to Syn 2 FX return
I get confused about how to set the Helix knobs as far as line vs. instrument level.
ricky

I had the same question and found the answer in the Syn2 manual (number 11 in the rear panel segment). The "effects loop level switch" allows you to set the level of the effects loop jacks to either instrument (pedal, as they call it) or line level. The manual suggests to use the setting that sounds best. The "Inst in" jack is obviously instrument level and cannot be switched to line. To use the same FX loop pair on the Helix you would have to set it to instrument level. You can set each FX loop pair (1 thru 4) to either line or instrument level in "Global Settings" on the Helix. And you would have to set the Syn2's "effects loop level switch" to instrument. If you don't like using instrument level for both in and out you can use two separate loop pairs on the Helix. If you set loop pair 1 to instrument and connect the Helix's Send 1 to Syn2's "Inst In" and, set loop pair 2 to line level and connect the helix's return 2 to Syn2's "FX send" and, set the Syn2's "effects loop level switch" to Line level. Hope that helps.

- Johan