Question about Tubes!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magarcia

Reaction score
I am new to Tube amp's and have a question concerning my E34l's. My Randall dealer mentioned all the latest RM100 heads are coming with 6L6 tubes only. Do they sound Better? I play rock, hard rock, blues and funk.
so would it make a noticlble difference if I switched? Also, are they plug and play or do I need adapters? I have biased my E34l's to run a little hot and it sounds great. just curious. The RM100 sitting at the guitar store loaded with 6L6's sounds a bit different.

If You hear the difference then You are the one and only who can tell if they sound better or they don't :)

I prefer 6L6's only because they have a natural mid-scooped sound with tight lows. However, the EL34's do seem to cut through better in a band mix. YMMV

You'll have to rebias whenever you swap tubes - even the same kind. (Oh, and no adapters needed.)

Cool, thanks for the info. I know the cabinet at the guitar store has custom 30's in it and mine has the 80's . maybe that is the difference.
Is there any brand of tubes that sound better than others?

What sounds "better" is a matter of opinion, and the most important opinion is your own. Try several different types and brands and see what you dig. :wink:

There is a TON of information on this forum about power amp tubes. Do a search and do some reading when you get a chance. That really helped me. Try searching "power amp tube" or by type, "6L6" for example.

In my experience, changing your speakers generally has a more pronounced effect on your tone than changing your power tubes does...(assuming you don't have dead tubes, of course).

If possible, audition whatever amps you are interested in through the same speaker cabinet.

That depends really. Basically the EL-34s would give you a classic, grinding, British sound and the 6L6s lean more towards an American, Fendery/ Mesa-ish aproach.

In deed it's all a subjective matter and depends much on what kind of sound you're shooting for. Personally I found I prefer the 6L6 type tetrode over the EL-34 pentode from how they respond to my guitars - even in British situations. The tetrodes have smoother dynamics than the pentodes and I prefer these with ceramic pickups.

Then ofcourse there are a number of sub-versions of either sort.
Tetrodes: 6L6, 5881, KT-66, 7027...
Pentodes: 6CA7, EL34, E34LS, KT77...
Make sure the tetrode you're looking into is compatible with your amp as some have platevoltage limitations.