Can you guess the MTS?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesarvin

Reaction score
Here's a full mix.

One heavy rhythm guitar has a Mash-All in JCM 800 mode.

The other is a sweet vintage Marshall Super Lead.

They're panned hard right and left. I know it's not the best mix, but try to guess which is which.

http://db.tt/rCKnxWaG

The artist is Clay Melton, http://claymelton.com

REALLY hard to tell but I'd say the right channel is the Mash all..

We're at a 50/50!

Remember, one is a Plexi sound from a real Plexi, the other is an 800 sound with the gain rolled back.

I know it's hard to tell, but keep trying!

Ahhh, I thought the left channel sounded a little brighter. I can definitely see how that channel could be the real Plexi. I'll have to give it another listen with better headphones

Kind of a pointless endeavor in my opinion... not being a dick but what is the point if the stereo image is giving my ears the WHOLE picture rather than the ability to tell them apart. If i were guessing i would say in my left ear is the real Marshall and the right ear the "fake" or clone. That said, I would prefer just straight guitars to be able to make an educated guess and my answer is I have no idea because there is way too much going on. (which in itself goes to show how it doesn't really matter real or not because the final result is more important than anything else)

I like the mix though. Drums sound great. Sampled? replaced? or straight mic'ed?

Kapo_Polenton said:
(which in itself goes to show how it doesn't really matter real or not because the final result is more important than anything else)

I like the mix though. Drums sound great. Sampled? replaced? or straight mic'ed?

I figured someone would say that, and that was really the point. Even if the clones aren't right on, they sound good enough for use. The sum of the parts is really what is important in all that we do, not matter how much we antagonize over the minutia. I agree that there is a lot going on (probably too much), but that was the request and playing of the artist. Sort of over the top, balls to the wall if you will.

The drums are real, with a sample augmenting, not replacing, the kick and snare in order to get a little more snap out of each.

Oh, and the Mash All was on the right. All the other guitars were either the Plexi, Bogner, or guitar rig.

Here is a rough take of the tune when trying to rework it. No samples or beat detective used. Rhythm guitars are the same setup.
http://db.tt/aMZuavCo

I was right! Knew my ear could pick out the real MArshall... so only snare and kick were augmented. Everything else sounds really good. Were these recorded in a studio or home studio? what program did you use to augment/replace? I know , yet more questions... just looking at getting good representations of my drums on tape.

Your ear was right!

For the drums, both clips had a slightly different mic and preamp setup, but the kit and the room were the same. It was all recorded at my house. I like to track drums in the living room, as it is about 24x15 with a 12ft vaulted ceiling. Thin windows and plenty of other openings to the hallway make for little bass buildup, overall a pretty decent sounding room. I put gobos around the kit to lessen spill of the close mics, and then the room mics handle the ambience. Positioning helps. Make sure the overheads are equidistant from the snare center. Use buds with gun muffs or isolation phones to move the other mics while the drummer is bashing until they sound good. I usually forget that step, but it helps. Beta 52 kick, 57s on snare and toms, ksm32 overheads and room. API a2d on kick and snare, focus rite liquid Safire on everything else. I normally use pro tools for everything, and augmenting is done by hand, by copying the track and tab to transient to copy and paste the sample. The samples sound thin on their own, but mixed they sound good. Add a little eq and parallel compression, and you're good to go!

Oh, and btw, a good, well-tuned kit and decent drummer help too! We used a hybrid shine and Ludwig kit with new heads and paste cymbals.

For example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyO7lvzfw5Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Was gonna guess the Mashall on the right as well. Something I've noticed about the MTS modules is that thy tend to have a "removed blanket". There's some kind of "mush" in the original amps, where the whole tone is somewhat smeared across the frequency range. The Module mods don't have any of that, and that's what I like about them.

Although, I do like that smear from time to time :D