Loud, boomy basement needs cheap solution

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well, the Rack of Delight survived the move to the new place...It has grown since it was last moved and, I must say, is quite a beast...Being the puss that I am, I just used our moving company - hey they were there anyway...Those guys just about died when they went to lift it...I didn't make them roadie the rest of the gear, plus, I don't like strange people handling my equipment... 8) Who knew moving a studio rack could be so stressful?

Which leads me to my issue...My home studio is in a much larger and unfinished basement...I plan to finish it properly within about a year or so...Until then, I'm trying to figure out how to dampen the sound and section off part of this monstrous open room to dampen sound and mark my territory...

Looking at the moving pads yesterday got me thinking...But before I throw out my ghetto ideas and embarass myself I'd like to turn to the forum for help...Any ideas? I need it to be cheap and somewhat effective...Right now, when I hit the drums, it sounds like gunfire...I can't even imagine a couple hundred tube watts blasting thru 5 4x12s... :) Nor can my wife...

Thanks!

That's weird, I'm in the same situation, I'm closing on Friday. I'll have a huge open basement as well, that I plan to finish in sections. My initial idea was to get some cheap throw rugs on the floor, and build a quick 2x4 and plywood riser for my 2 drum kits. I had considered building some DIY acoustic panels as shown in the Youtube video below, I also considered foam squares and other "ghetto" ideas. Let me know what you come up with, I'm sure others could benefit from your ideas as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8trv6MJ9uU

JayDA said:
That's weird, I'm in the same situation, I'm closing on Friday. I'll have a huge open basement as well, that I plan to finish in sections. My initial idea was to get some cheap throw rugs on the floor, and build a quick 2x4 and plywood riser for my 2 drum kits. I had considered building some DIY acoustic panels as shown in the Youtube video below, I also considered foam squares and other "ghetto" ideas. Let me know what you come up with, I'm sure others could benefit from your ideas as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8trv6MJ9uU

Congrats! Yep, rugs for sure...Thanks for the link too...I'll be looking further into that for sure...

sounds like a question for drummers, matt

might want to search some drum forums

I just went through this ordeal creating my rehearsal spot. It's nowhere near 100%, but I did cut down a TON of room reverb. I used a bunch of ATS Acoutic Panels. Not the best and not the cheapest, somewhere in the middle, but works surprisingly well. I also tried to cover as much floor space with rugs. If you want to know anything else give me a call or email. :)

Don't forget to treat the ceiling. Acoustic panels/tile or carpet - you're going to need something up there.

Sound proof blankets on cement walls will help kill the boom too. They're not too expensive and really easy to hang with the clips that come with them. Here's one from Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-Hang-Acoustic-Sound-Proof-Blanket-40-Sq-ft-large-/160710940337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256b1e56b1

guitarzan said:
Sound proof blankets on cement walls will help kill the boom too. They're not too expensive and really easy to hang with the clips that come with them. Here's one from Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-Hang-Acoustic-Sound-Proof-Blanket-40-Sq-ft-large-/160710940337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256b1e56b1

Now that is something to consider....Hmmmm....Thanks much!

to start, I'd concentrate on covering the floor with cheap rugs or indoor/ooutdoor carpet from Home Depot... and deaden 1 wall (the wall behind your amps/drums)

Be careful when building a drum riser, unless it's done right with $, it will yield ugly vibrations on recordings

Rigid fiberglass or mineral wool, 4" thick, mounted in 2'x4' frames made out of 1x4's. Around 20 traps placed in corners for your average 12x15 space would make for a nice tight room that'll track and mix great.

If you're having a hard time finding the rigid stuff, R30 fluffy fiberglass works well if you're good at squeezing it down and upholstering it. Shoot, even stacking the unopened rolls in corners will help wonders. Using fluffy fiberglass, 1x4 frames, and cheapo fabric, you could make the whole set of 20 traps for under $250. It'd be as close to pro on a budget as you could get. (Here's an example of these traps, in fact the first set that I made and gave to a friend when I moved to Texas. It's R30 squished down with fabric in an 8x10 room http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikxAArc19C4)

It's the lows that are the problem, not the highs. Foam or blankets, while taming slapback echo, will just make your room sound muddy.

Check out the acoustics forum on Gearslutz for ideas.

Just my $.02...

(I spent weeks researching and using trial and error, AND room response measurements)

drewiv said:
I just went through this ordeal creating my rehearsal spot. It's nowhere near 100%, but I did cut down a TON of room reverb. I used a bunch of ATS Acoutic Panels. Not the best and not the cheapest, somewhere in the middle, but works surprisingly well. I also tried to cover as much floor space with rugs. If you want to know anything else give me a call or email. :)

Don't forget to treat the ceiling. Acoustic panels/tile or carpet - you're going to need something up there.

This is a great easy solution if budget allows.

Acoustimac.com has a diy section where you can buy just the materials. Its a really good bargin when he has some kinda specials going on. I would stay away from places like foambymail.com. That stuff is just a waste of money.

Mount acoustic panels 2-4 inchs off the wall, it increases the coverage area.

Bass in the corners is the biggest trouble, but I have read that some people use a big round tube that they push a lot acoustic material into. Some say it works really good. I cant remember what its commonly called, sorry.

You may wanna stay away from haveing your setup in the corners or pushed up against the walls. By moving your monitors away from the wall you could get a nice sound that is more balanced than it would be against the wall.

Your best bet is to use a combination of these blankets BUT build your own acoustic panels out of rigid acoustic foam ...4 inch in the corners. It really does make a diff. I just got all my gear downstairs in my studio and the bass trapping on the corners and on walls makes a huge diff. It is almost like everything goes quiet when i stand on one side of the room. I haven't bothered doing rest of basement yet but this is def the way. I prob spent 280$ on materials and have floor to ceiling covered and about 6 other wall panels 2 x 4. I might get two of those blankets and rig up a PVC frame around my drums to cut some of the db...

It's not so much that dB's are reduced, but their ringing and therefore perception is reduced. Once the lows are under control, then focus on highs. Even with poly on front of the broadband traps, one would be surprised how little HF treatment is needed. Basically just enough to kill any leftover zings and a cloud over drums and whatever close walls. Blankets or foam could be good for this use if one doesn't want to go the panel route. Just make sure the lows are handled first.

Tight, bright rooms are quite an inspiration to play in.

Oh...can't beat these prices... http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/moving-supplies/72-inch-x-80-inch-movers-blanket-66537.html

These are great to just have around. Gobo, kick tunnel, drum rug, sleeping bag, you name it. Cheap moving blankets rock!

I have to purposely stay away from there. It's worse than Walmart. I go in to buy one thing and I walk out with a full shopping cart!

Not sure if anyone suggested it BUT....

go to a carpet place and find the cheapest possible carpets..really ugly ones!!!

...and put them on the walls. Suspend em if you have to.

It will deaden the room very quickly. Sometimes you can find good ones in the dumpster behind a carpet place (dont ask me how I know...) but they usually throw water on em...******!!!!!

GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:

go to a carpet place and find the cheapest possible carpets..really ugly ones!!!

It will deaden the room very quickly. Sometimes you can find good ones in the dumpster behind a carpet place (dont ask me how I know...) but they usually throw water on em...******!!!!!

GtrGeorge

I used to work at a carpet place in college. That is not water.

LOL? :shock:

eyeball987 said:
GtrGeorge! said:

GtrGeorge

I used to work at a carpet place in college. That is not water.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115927

Treated basement thread. I thought this treatment was reasonable. Mostly remedied reflection and some sound dampening. Since playing volumes were not louder than a TV, it did help with the volume a little.