Power amp options?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disk11

Reaction score
I'm getting a bit tired of running my RM4 through the GSP's headphones or into Reaper; and seeing my Orange 212 collecting dust. So I'm looking for something to play though my cab that is apartment safe.

So does anyone have experience with the EHX power pedals (22 cal and 44 mag), Crate Powerblock, or something else that won't make my future neighbors angry?

rm20/22?
That's a killer option, though I'm guessing you would like to continue using all 4 options in the rm4

I want to say it was LUNATIBSW who did a you tube video with the .44 cal. It sounded pretty good.

I have a great time with my solid state power amp. Its not a high watt and I can turn the preamp up to get real tube flavors. Those EH pedals do seem like a cool option though. I have ran my rm4 into my RM20 too. That being said I havent tried what you are asking but I am sure any would be better than headphones.

I'm running a fryette 292. Sounds great at low volumes in either normal or low power mode. Matrix solidstate power amps seem to be pretty popular for what they are 1U unit. Another option if you can find one.. a mesa 20/20. I've been looking for one of these for a little bit now. But seems like owners are getting the moon for them though.

I am (usually) running an RM4 (or other pre) into my MosValve 962, and then into a cab. I run a second speaker line to a DI that converts that speaker out to line level, which then goes to my ADC/DAC I/O, and into my DAWquencer for recording. For monitoring/mixing later, I will add an IR plugin, and then load my custom IRs. I have IRs of my cabs that are so near to identical to the same mic placement when recorded "live" that this is a very acceptable low volume solution (for me).

I could always use other power amp solutions, but, most of the time, the MosValve is "tubey" enough for my needs. I do love the non-level dependent aspect of an SS power amp in certain situations.

crankyrayhanky, my budget is whatever I can get for my XXX, which might be pushing it for a RM22. And I would rather get a dedicated power amp to have more money for future rig updates and mods :D

BigBrewtus, what are you using?

bhuard75, either one of those would be sweet, but my budget probably woun't allow it.

Hey,

I'm currently using an old Marshall 8008 valvestate power amp - these cost next to nothing and okay there not valve but as long as you steer clear of the liner mode they sound pretty good ;-)

Also you can keep it pretty quite if needed - good for using in the house or small gigs!

I use a Mesa 20/20 and I love it. It is quiet enough to play at midnight when the missus is asleep as well as loud enough to do any gig I've played. Sounds good at all volumes.

disk11 said:
So does anyone have experience with the EHX power pedals (22 cal and 44 mag), Crate Powerblock, or something else that won't make my future neighbors angry?

I am in the process of replacing my MOD50/RM4 with a RT2/50/RM4/M4 so until the RT2/50 arrives, I'm playing the RM4 into a Magnum 44.

To answer your question... It sounds like **** compared to the power section of the MOD50. To be fair I'll say that the Bman clean sounds very good but the mid/high gain modules sound harsh and lifeless.

The Magnum 44 is surprisingly loud and although the reviews I've read claim it to be too dark, I found the opposite; I needed to turn the treble and mids down on the modules to darken the sound to where I was used to it sounding.

As you turn up the Magnum 44 and it starts to clip and exceed the 44 watts, the harshness, lifelessness seems to improve but at that point your louder than "bedroom" levels.

All that negative said, I'm still somewhat impressed with this little pedal. When I first set it up, I started with the clean channel on the Bman and I was blown away with how good it sounded; warm, clean and punchy. Too bad the gainy modules didn't translate as well.

Hamner1 said:
I want to say it was LUNATIBSW who did a you tube video with the .44 cal. It sounded pretty good.

wasnt me, the youtube vids I did were just the my rm20, when I first got into this mess

Been messaging the AMT people, and the pedal is only 8 ohms, and my Orange 212 is 16:(

I think I'm gonna drag my RM4 to a shop with the EHX pedals and see what I think. I know they won't be great, but they seem like the best option for now.

Marco, I figured I'd never turn these past noon to avoid clipping. Thanks for your impressions.

I've got a 22 cal and it's pretty sweet with a Metal Zone in front of it (conservatively dialed in, of course). however, I've not tried my Randall rig through it. I have some caps to re-solder and shield first.

Also, once you hit the "blanket lift" position around 9:00, these suckers are pretty loud. Especially if you're running through a 2x12 or 4x12.

MarcoR said:
I am in the process of replacing my MOD50/RM4 with a RT2/50/RM4/M4 so until the RT2/50 arrives, I'm playing the RM4 into a Magnum 44.

To answer your question... It sounds like s*&t compared to the power section of the MOD50. To be fair I'll say that the Bman clean sounds very good but the mid/high gain modules sound harsh and lifeless.

I have to update this review now that I've had more time with the Magnum 44. When I initially tested it I was in the process of reconfiguring my rig and I did not have the proper buffering on long cable runs from my pedalboard back to the power amp which I believe caused the thinner bright sound I was originally getting.

Now that I have the rig completed I must say the .44 sounds very good with both the clean and high gain modules.

Also, I got my RT2/50 which also sounds great and after having a chance to A/B the modules with different tubes via the channel switching in the RT2/50, I can say that the Magnum is very neutral sounding. In that I mean the Marshall based modules sound fantastic with the EL43s and not so much with 6L6s with the RT2/50. I find I like the cleans with both EL34s or 6L6s for different flavors.

All the modules sound very good with the Magnum but they also tend to sound more similar too each other as well if that makes sense. For example, the 59RR and the MarkX sound like completely different amps using the RT2/50 but using the Magnum they seem to be more alike.

All in all I would not hesitate to take the Magnum to a rehearsal, gig, etc. and feel like I'm really missing much (if I don't need to be super loud of course).

The positive experience with the Magnum .44 makes me want to try the Tubecake as well. However, I think I my save my money and get the Matrix FX1000.

Try to find a old Hughes and Kettner Blues/Crunch Master. OMG.
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=76&prod=Cream%20Machine