RT2/50 in stereo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcoR

Reaction score
I'm running my RT2/50 in stereo into a 2x12 cab. The cab has 2 different speakers; a Scumback M75 and H75. That speaker combo sounds really good in mono with the amp in switching mode with EL34s and 6L6s.

So now that I'm running in stereo I'm thinking I should run the same tubes on both sides rather than the El34s on one and the 6L6s on the other. Between the different tubes and speakers I feel like I'm loosing the sounds of the modules for some new hybrid thing. The effects sound great but my Marshall based modules are missing the all EL34 tone, if you know what I mean.

What would you guys do?

I recently got Rt2/50 but not sure how the switching works yet, but I assume that both presence and depth pots work in stereo mode. Have you messed with those on the 6l6 side to maybe get it to where you want it to be?
You said you liked the way in sounded in switch mode, was that only when el34 mode or both? Cause if it's both I don't see why it sounds off now. Maybe a phase issue.
I would personally experiment with this more, but if you want that Marshall flavor, then el34 on both sides would probably be your best bet.

I edited cause it dawned on me that maybe it is the speaker that you are not liking in stereo mode. Have switched to el34 on the speaker you are not liking in stereo mode? That may be the issue. The speaker in mono may be mixing well with the other speaker, but when singled out to its own tube section the speaker is not to your liking.

You have a couple things going on here:

1: You are now running two types of tubes and imparting a bit of each ones flavor to the recipe. Do keep in mind you may need to adjust each sides knobs to taste. It might be a good idea to turn one volume all the way down, dial the three knobs to taste and repeat for the other side. Then turn them up and blend to taste.

2: When you run speakers in mono, their individual parameters really come into play more and more. For example, say one speaker has a 98db sensitivity and the other 96db. In a blend, speaker A will contribute more to the blend than speaker B. When you run it in stereo, the volume controls not determine that blend. That can be a good thing or bad, but it certainly provides more control over the blend.

3: The outer-most 12AX7's are for the Density and Presence knobs or that pair of power tubes. As with the power tubes, do make sure they are all good. Do keep in mind you may not like a particular brand of tube. For example, the JJ 6L6GC tubes that come stock in that amp are one of my least favorite tubes of all time. I have just never been able to like them in any amp.

JeffHenneman said:
Have switched to el34 on the speaker you are not liking in stereo mode? That may be the issue. The speaker in mono may be mixing well with the other speaker, but when singled out to its own tube section the speaker is not to your liking.

You got it; the M75 matches well with the EL34s and the H75 with the 6L6s.

Jaded Faith said:
You have a couple things going on here:

1: You are now running two types of tubes and imparting a bit of each ones flavor to the recipe. Do keep in mind you may need to adjust each sides knobs to taste. It might be a good idea to turn one volume all the way down, dial the three knobs to taste and repeat for the other side. Then turn them up and blend to taste.

Exactly what I've done. The sound is not bad at all; it's actually great but not as authentic.

Jaded Faith said:
2: When you run speakers in mono, their individual parameters really come into play more and more. For example, say one speaker has a 98db sensitivity and the other 96db. In a blend, speaker A will contribute more to the blend than speaker B. When you run it in stereo, the volume controls not determine that blend. That can be a good thing or bad, but it certainly provides more control over the blend.

That's what I'm hearing!

Jaded Faith said:
3: The outer-most 12AX7's are for the Density and Presence knobs or that pair of power tubes. As with the power tubes, do make sure they are all good. Do keep in mind you may not like a particular brand of tube. For example, the JJ 6L6GC tubes that come stock in that amp are one of my least favorite tubes of all time. I have just never been able to like them in any amp.

I'm with you on the JJ 6L6s and they were inline to be replaced but I have to admit I didn't hate them on some modules; they were real nice on the A channel of the B'man and this may surprise you but I also liked them for the ODS over the 34s (This is in switching mode of course).

Ultimately, I'm trying to go W/D/W but it will be a while before I can afford the wet cabs and power amp. After hearing the Eventide Space in stereo, it's real difficult to go back to mono.

Thanks for the replies guys!

No surprise on the ODS at all. I actually prefer Tung Sol 5881's with that module more than anything. BTW, those are a great suggestion to replace the JJ 6L6GC's.

I am not too big of a fan of jj tubes either. My personal favorite 6l6 are the Ruby?6L6GCMSTR.
JF good explanation of things.

I think I'll order another set of TS5881s and see how that combination works.

BTW, last night I tried going back to switching mode and running my TM cab mono dry and ran a mono wet into a EH .44 Magnum to another cab. The mono wet sounded very unnatural like this. The Magnum with the two other cabinets I tried weren't very pleasant either compared to the TM with scumbacks and the RT. Oh how I want the Matrix for my wet cabs...

I think for now, stereo with the one cab is the easiest compromise but I'm glad I'm not gigging and don't have to explain to a soundman why he needs to put a mike on each speaker!

JeffHenneman said:
I am not too big of a fan of jj tubes either. My personal favorite 6l6 are the Ruby?6L6GCMSTR.
JF good explanation of things.
Why thank you sir!

Those Ruby's are actually my favorite 6L6's BTW. I use them in all my personal amps where I "have to" use 6L6's. Great bang for the buck as well.

Iys a complicated thing imho
I run stereo when I use the Rt 2/50 and I have various V30 in the cabs and the r2/50 has el34 and 6l6 on each channel
I am happy with the mashup...not authentic..but the mix of elements if fine for what I do. And importantly the speakers are approx the same effeciency..so no problems there.

I love having a power amp where I can midi switch things and also change power tubes...the best flexibilty! I hunger for a smaller.lighter option but it isnt made last I knew. (Mesa 20/20???)
GtrGeorge

You might want to try a wet/dry setup too. I've been doing that lately with my 2x12 and it sounds pretty massive. I have a GMajor2 in the RM4 serial loop. You use the post out for one channel of the poweramp and pre loop out for the dry channel.

My latest setup has been stereo with 2 cabs; the Egnater TM with Scumback M75/H75 and an Avatar with a Greenback and Hellatone 30. Sounds great!

I tried the 2 cabs one wet one dry and I thought it was very un-natural sounding.

I also tried W/D/W using the EH Magnum 44 to power one side of the Egnater cab for wet. That didn't sound that good.

I'd still like to get another well matched cab and a stereo amp for the wet sides so I can use the RT2/50 in switching mode on the dry cab. Maybe if I win the lottery. :cry:

:p Instead of starting new thread, I figured I would resurrect a year old thread. Anyway I just got an RT2/50 & holy MF'r is this thing loud. Running KT77s & 6L6s... at least that is what the seller listed. It has to be at 9 o'clock to start sounding big. I had it up around 10:30 for about a minute without ear protection... yeah that won't happen again without being farther away or some kind of attenuation. :lol:
Well eventually more tweaking/testing & research, but feel free to educate me as well.

I never understood why people get bashed for resurrecting threads, IMO it is silly to keep starting new ones. I would rather find info all in one place. Information about gear typically stays relevant and the internet is forever.

Jaded Faith said:
When you run it in stereo, the volume controls not determine that blend.

Rob, are you saying the volume controls do NOT determine the blend? I am thinking this is a typo, I am balalncing this way due to different power tubes and speaker cabs and it seems to work barring more tweeking.

Jaded Faith said:
No surprise on the ODS at all. I actually prefer Tung Sol 5881's with that module more than anything. BTW, those are a great suggestion to replace the JJ 6L6GC's.

Are those a 5881WGC or a WXT or is their tone very close? I just received a Rocktron Velocity Valve amp with the original 5881WXT in it and was thinking about replacing them but after reading this i may at least try them out first with 6L6GC or 6550 on one side.

Totenkampf said:
I never understood why people get bashed for resurrecting threads, IMO it is silly to keep starting new ones. I would rather find info all in one place.

I agree. That reminds me, can we get a sticky on tubes? My search skills suck. What differences are there between KT77s & KT88s?

Totenkampf said:
I never understood why people get bashed for resurrecting threads, IMO it is silly to keep starting new ones. I would rather find info all in one place. Information about gear typically stays relevant and the internet is forever.

Jaded Faith said:
When you run it in stereo, the volume controls not determine that blend.

Rob, are you saying the volume controls do NOT determine the blend? I am thinking this is a typo, I am balalncing this way due to different power tubes and speaker cabs and it seems to work barring more tweeking.

Jaded Faith said:

Are those a 5881WGC or a WXT or is their tone very close? I just received a Rocktron Velocity Valve amp with the original 5881WXT in it and was thinking about replacing them but after reading this i may at least try them out first with 6L6GC or 6550 on one side.

Trying to recall my train of thought ack then, but I think what I meant to type was that the volume control alone doesn't determine the blend. The speaker, it's sensitivity, the enclosure the tubes and the frequency responses of everything together do.

I am no at all a fan of either of the Sovtek 5881's you mentioned. I actually think they are among some of the most lifeless power tubes I have tried. My suggested 5881 is the current production Tung Sol.

So here is something I am curious about.
Previously I was in stereo mode hooked up to a single stereo cab (in stereo) at 8 ohms & the amp set for both sides to 8 ohms. I wanted to check that it would switch between the channels. So channel A is 6L6s I believe & channel B is KT77s (again I believe). So now that stereo cab is set to mono & it is a 16 ohm cab in mono. RT2/50 impedance is set to 16 ohm.
In mono both channels individually are louder than both combined in stereo. Seems strange given that stereo is supposed to be 100 watts & switching is 50 watts :?:

That is the 1st thing I am wodering. The 2nd is the KT77s at the same volume setting are much louder than the 6L6s... is that normal?

On a side note the front panel button does cycle through A, B, & bypass. Unfortunately I don't have a long enough midi cable (I know there is a penis joke in that statement :lol:) to connect to the GSP to test the midi switching. Time to hit the music store I guess.