Effects Processors

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ive been looking at effects processors for my various mts amps and im running into what seems to be a fact about every modern effects processors and that is that they all have a huge amp modeling section.... I have no desire to override my killer tube tones with digital "amp model" so the question is: Is there a modern full featured effects processor that does not have amp modeling and sticks to just effects?
-mp-

Both myself an our other guitarist use the Line 6 stomp box modelers and are very pleased. I use an M13 and he has an M9. It works great with almost any amp I own and you can also run effects both in front and in the loop with the four cable method.

zepplin490 said:
Ive been looking at effects processors for my various mts amps and im running into what seems to be a fact about every modern effects processors and that is that they all have a huge amp modeling section.... I have no desire to override my killer tube tones with digital "amp model" so the question is: Is there a modern full featured effects processor that does not have amp modeling and sticks to just effects?
-mp-

Its a fair question and the answer is I don't know I spent a while looking too and could only see the Lexicon units with out hundereds of amp models. So one of those *might* do you?

I went for a GSP1101 and turned all the amp sims off :)

Works a treat!

Actually I have been looking at the Boss ME-50, It has no amp modeling and is relatively inexpensive, Also there is one on my local craigslist page for $75.00 ... I think that this may be the one im looking for ;)

Actually I have been looking at the Boss ME-50, It has no amp modeling and is relatively inexpensive, Also there is one on my local craigslist page for $75.00 ... I think that this may be the one im looking for ;)

I was looking for an m9. I found a used HD500 for a cheaper price, in perfect condition. I steer away from the amp models except for using it as a fancy bass DI. The routing, switching, midi, expression pedal, is awesome. Have no fear bypassing models. They work fine without them.

going into the front of the amp, I have a Line 6 m13.

I tried running my Boss- GT-10 into the FX loop and it sounded like crap, even with the amp models bypassed.

I use the GSP1101 by digitech. It has amp models but I just bypass them. With the Control2 footswitch and a MIDI cable, it will switch effects and the RM4 at the same time. I have not used the amp models since getting my MTS stuff. However, I was at a rehearsal and my RM4 died and it kind of saved my *** to have the digital models with me. I am now happy to have them as if I am at a gig and my Randall stuff fails I have the models and vice versa.

The problem I have with the m13 is that you can't utilize the midi,it won't switch from modual to modual.I was thinking of trying to use effects like pod farm and such,just for effects.Maybe running it using an ipad or something like that

I don't know about the M13, but the gsp1101 will switch module to module and is completely easy to set up.

Definitely consider the Eventide Eclipse. It's what I went with. There are some advantages and some disadvantages, but IMHO it's one of the best effects processors in it's class.

It contains all of Eventides signature algorithms found in the TimeFactor and ModFactor pedals. It DOESN'T contain the signature PitchFactor or Space algorithms, but it can do pitchshifting and very similar effects to the Space pedal. There's definitely options to program your own effects that are very close to Space and PitchFactor but it's very different how you achieve that sound. There's quite a few algorithms available from others who have done the legwork of the programming, but it's very advanced function.

On top of those, there's a plethora of other sounds. It DOES have some amp modeling now, but most seem to believe the Eclipse falls well short of other emulators such as AxeII, etc., but it's incredible with the effects and blows away AxeII and most others for effects.

It does best when wired to your effects loop in parallel at +4db setting on the amp, which the MTS amps support (not all amps have this option, some are limited to -10db), fully "wet" with your signal from the amp. I really feel that the quality of the effects in Eclipse are second to none for the available multi-effects processors in the class.

Pros:
1.) ModFactor ($399.00) and TimeFactor ($399.00) algorithms, + wealth of other sounds
2.) GREAT sounding effects!
3.) 1U rack space
4.) With time/skill, incredibly flexible with programming your own sounds

Cons:
1.) Cost. If you hurry, you can pick up a brand new one on Amazon right now for 15% off, or $1,695.75 which is the cheapest I've been able to find a brand new factory A-stock. If you're patient you can find a used one for ~$1k on evilbay etc.
2.) 2-channel processing, only 2 effects at once. Still not bad for a 1U rack unit, but you can obviously have 3+ simultaneous effects with pedals, and AxeII supports a ton simultaneously also.
3.) Complex. MUST read the manual, and takes a lot of getting used to and getting your presets all set. Not for faint of heart/short of time if you want to get your money's worth out of it. You can get VERY deep into programming this unit!
4.) Switching between presets (for different effects) is slower compared to pedals (which are almost instantaneous). Especially guys who gig often prefer pedals (AxeII is also lightening-quick) as you can really fly through your effects. The time it takes the unit to load the algorithm has really improved with the latest sw, but still slower than some options out there. For studio use, this isn't really a factor, but for live gig, it's not as quick/easy to toggle through effects, and you're somewhat limited to the number of presets you can toggle through with a controller without having to go to the console.

I guess the big things are, for it's class, it's hard to beat the quality of the effects. The programming possibilites are a plus and a minus. Many who play out opt to compromise on sound quality for easier/quicker toggling between effects, and changing settings on the fly (i.e. the turn of a knob on a pedal vs. going into the menu on the console).

Lot's of interesting discussions out there:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=851341

For a cheap method, i used a POD XTLive for a year or two before going to my GForce. With the output on the bose PS1 setting it was pretty awesome. Had some clipping issues here and there, but balanced correctly it was a pretty fun unit and would midi switch the amp channels.

Jaded Faith said:
Both myself an our other guitarist use the Line 6 stomp box modelers and are very pleased. I use an M13 and he has an M9. It works great with almost any amp I own and you can also run effects both in front and in the loop with the four cable method.

Same thing here except I use the Boss GT10 (four cable method) Ecstatic with all I can do...EQ's, Boosts, tweakable Wah (one of the best!) volume pedl...two minute looping....killer Delay, natural sounding reverb- Has its own loop so you place the time based effects behind the preamp, boosts/wah in front. It also has "on the fly" EQ which is great for live situations- Some rooms/stages my Judge may need a db or two or treble- Reach down- its done. Need more mids? Reach down- twist a knob- Its like having a mid shift switch on my mods. To top it off- It has two NS-1's built in so you can put one in front of the loop if you want or at the very end of the effects chain. (I keep my delay at the very end so it doesnt get choked out. Every BOSS pedal in one box, amazing Tube Screamer sim...Lastly (ive mentioned this before) I can turn off the send or return on any of the channels so I bypass the RM100 preamps completely...This gives me the chance to add a clean channel- I use the clean KT88 power pushing the the Boss Fender Twin simulation...KILLER clean tones without wasting a slot in my RM100 on a clean channel. just so much and I got it for 300 bucks.

wanted to add, I can use this same approach with my RM20. I create three channels- Straight Judge/GTO for rythym- Second patch with a Tube Screamer/Delay and and a 20db boost for leads...Third channel I turn off the send/return- get clean el84 tones pushing the Fender Deluxe sim...Effectively making my RM20 a three channel amp! Love it.

rblyn said:
wanted to add, I can use this same approach with my RM20. I create three channels- Straight Judge/GTO for rythym- Second patch with a Tube Screamer/Delay and and a 20db boost for leads...Third channel I turn off the send/return- get clean el84 tones pushing the Fender Deluxe sim...Effectively making my RM20 a three channel amp! Love it.

Yeah that's actually pretty **** cool. I'm seriously considering an RM20 and the only thing I didn't like about it is only 1 slot...****, only $300...worth checking out for sure

I'm working on getting my HD500 and RM100 put together. The 500 will strictly be for FX in the 4CM setup and will also act as a backup amp if something bad were to happen on stage. I was using a couple pedals in front of the RM100 and a G-Major in the loop with a midi mate controlling the amp channels and G-Major patches. I'm hoping the HD500 will reduce the amount of gear I have to haul. I do have to admit, the G-Major/RM100 setup worked fantastic!

stratotelepaul said:
I'm working on getting my HD500 and RM100 put together. The 500 will strictly be for FX in the 4CM setup

Please let us know how this works out for you. I've been thinking of doing similar.

I've asked this question before but got no reply.How do those of you with an m13 program it to make use of the midi.I've tried it but it doesn't switch the modauls.