How loud do you MTS?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about how perfect MTS is in the preamp and how lacking the power section is...I get that as my Mesa Roadster has more girth than my MTS rigs but it isn't a knockout amount....Even my RM50 running through a 2x12 with my Benzin mod can deliver a thumping tone that is equally kickass...But only at LOUD volumes...

Anyway, I am just wondering if that is the missing link for some guys...My Mesa has low end no matter the volume but MTS low end comes with volume an not low levels..

Could that be it? I also started running my module masters around 2:00 and that has helped...

Thoughts? Experiences?

when I bought my 1st RM4. I ran it thru the power amp sections of both my splawn modded amps - it was a religious experience :mrgreen:

my question is - more low end for what exactly

live playing ?
recording ?
demolitioning small buildings ? :lol:

or is the tonal quality of the low end ?

(ie Mesa uses sprague caps thru out - IMHO only spague sound like spague - a nice thick sounding low end)

if cheapy caps would do the same job tone-wise I think Mesa would
use those but they don't - Mesa always uses sprague (food for thought)

I'm with you on the 2 o clock module volume setting.Something happens between that 1 and 2 setting that brings the mods to life.

I get it now - MTS Flaw !

somthing "tonally" inherent in the randall/egnater mts design

tis what it is I guess - easily fixed thou - just crank that ***** :p

fuzzboat said:
when I bought my 1st RM4. I ran it thru the power amp sections of both my splawn modded amps - it was a religious experience :mrgreen:

my question is - more low end for what exactly

live playing ?
recording ?
demolitioning small buildings ? :lol:

or is the tonal quality of the low end ?

(ie Mesa uses sprague caps thru out - IMHO only spague sound like spague - a nice thick sounding low end)

if cheapy caps would do the same job tone-wise I think Mesa would
use those but they don't - Mesa always uses sprague (food for thought)

Gotcha..I personally don't think the MTS stuff is lacking there but I have read others who say it lacks low end "punch." I'm just making discussion...:)

Something to keep in mind for a true "apples-to-apples" comparison is the number of points in an MTS setup where you have control of signal levels. Every Gain or Volume knob counts and impacts how hard it hits the following circuitry. In most amps there are less variable points in that signal path and fixed decisions are in place instead. As such, you are going to need to play around with levels a bit to find the sweet spots.

I will say most modules open up nicely around 1-2:00 on the Level pot. The modules also use different pot values for Level, so it's not always going to be the same.

Hope that helps,
Rob

I've been saying this for a while now.. you have to run these module master level at a minimum at 2 pm. Without it, the amp sounds anemic as you turn it up AND you'll notice you can turn the master way up and you can go way louder on the dial. Once I got to about 2-3 pm, my module could hang with my JCM800. Still to be honest though, I slightly prefer the feel of the 800.

This is one little problem you can have with the RM20 as it has no master volume. Turning the module volume up and down really effects the gain character.

I agree with everything that's been said so far...MTS is unique in how you use it too...I think people tend to lose tone on silly things, like cutting a signal somewhere in the path only to boost it elsewhere to get back to a standard volume...Rob is right on there for sure...

I just wanted to mention that there seems to be a very fine line between the module volume going woody and distorted and allowing the module the proper room to breathe and fill that power amp with what it needs...

I flop back & forth between 11am & 2pm for the module volume. Then the RM4 master is adjusted from there so as not to clip the GSP1101. One day I might figure out a way to set the GSP to accept a hotter signal or maybe a mod will come along that will allow running both the module & RM4 masters higher with rack effects units.

I usually play my MTS gear LOUD- and module volumes around noon...Some of the mods open up beyond that but others start breaking up and sound terrible. Noon seems to be a good, consistent setting for me. I like to push the master as far as I can without killing other bandmates, but to Matt's original post- with the right EQ settings and cabs etc, you can match most amps "girth" The Marshall tones with crunchy high mids seem to be very easy to get with the RM100 power section but some of the "modern" type mods have fallen short in my experience. I prefer hot rod Marshall anyway, I dont downtune to drop "Z" lol etc so Im good...From where I sit, there's not a lot of need for "low end"- dialing in too much bass will muddy up your bands mix- but with the right mod- you can get that "punch" and "girth" of higher end amps. I mentioned recently, I got one of SG's Afterlife's mods- the way its wired seems to get that mod closer to that modern botique amp "THUMP" than anything else I've tried (and Ive tried A LOT of mods) That particular mod is "based" on the Bogner Uberschall and definitely has the character of the real amp. My old JF Erect was very close (and honestly better sounding without the fizz) to my old Triple Recto tones- but I used to dial that in with mostly heavy, chewy mids in the Orange channel- Did not try to get that much low end out of it anyway...I havent heard or tried Rob's D-Zilla-wondering how that one holds up vs others?

I was thinking about this, and the solution I haven't tried yet is an EQ in the series effects loop. I'll try it out when I get back home.

Jaded Faith said:
Something to keep in mind for a true "apples-to-apples" comparison is the number of points in an MTS setup where you have control of signal levels. Every Gain or Volume knob counts and impacts how hard it hits the following circuitry. In most amps there are less variable points in that signal path and fixed decisions are in place instead. As such, you are going to need to play around with levels a bit to find the sweet spots.

I will say most modules open up nicely around 1-2:00 on the Level pot. The modules also use different pot values for Level, so it's not always going to be the same.

Hope that helps,
Rob
I just saw I have all my level pots set around there. I never played many other amps to truly know the difference. What sold me about the MTS was the biasing feature and that you can have two identical dirty channels and a clean. I also love a clean Fender amp so to have all the gain at your finger tips and Blackface was great to hear.

I like it loud, but not quite as loud as I am told Uncle Matt likes it :p

I'm with rblyn, I get the most consitant results with my modules set around noon on the level and my amp set around 1 o'clock. Yes different modules open up at different levels, but I find that the ones that shine at higher module level settings end up being set a little higher - 1 or 2 o'clock - because of what must be the difference in pot value according to Rob

The MTS stuff defientely needs to be pushed a bit to get that thump, but in comparison to other - wayyyy more expensive - boutique amps I have heard lately, the MTS stuff really holds its own

Nice topic

H

Big Daddy said:
I like it loud, but not quite as loud as I am told Uncle Matt likes it :p

I'm with rblyn, I get the most consitant results with my modules set around noon on the level and my amp set around 1 o'clock. Yes different modules open up at different levels, but I find that the ones that shine at higher module level settings end up being set a little higher - 1 or 2 o'clock - because of what must be the difference in pot value according to Rob

The MTS stuff defientely needs to be pushed a bit to get that thump, but in comparison to other - wayyyy more expensive - boutique amps I have heard lately, the MTS stuff really holds its own

Nice topic

H

Yep noon on modules/master runs about 1 o clock- Crushes for me...Such a KEY point made by Big Daddy- You get 95% of the tone for a fraction of the price!

Most of my volume knobs are set at the 11 o clock end of things. Channel and master wise. The one thing I recently found to give some extra girth and sparkle is am Xotic EP Booster out in front and always on. It really seems to spice things up a bit.

I did.. blew a tube running it the amp full pin though so be careful.. maybe only get that volume up to 2 on the amp master.