Best Effects unit for....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
What is the best Floor effects unit that is not completely focused on F*%cking amp modeling? I have looked far and wide and in the first sentence of the descriptions of most of these they brag about how many amp models the **** thing has. I have no use for amp modeling my amps and modules sound better than any digital model... I guess my question should be which multieffects unit is it the easiest to disable the amp modeling and be used purely for effects?
-mp-
I was looking at the like 6 m13,m9 and m5

We use an M13 (me) and an M9 (not me) in my band and I have no complaints. It allowed me to sell off about $2000 in pedals I used to carry and is way less weight and hassle to carry around.

I prefer real pedals when possible, but I gotta admit those line 6 m13's are really cool. If i was looking for a multi-effect, that is where I would start.

Boss GT10! (I know I've posted a lot about it) but its a breeze to turn the modeling off. I use it 4CM and since it has its own loop- I can place all my effects in right order and the boost/eq/wah are as good as anything. I have high end boosts and a wah- The Boss's effects sound identical.. It also has midi switching so it's one pedal in front of me for everything....There's also the Line 6 multi effects (I dont know if the M13 can be used the same way but the HD500 can?) and the Digitech RP pedals that are all similar and many on this board use with similar results.

iPB-10. I bypass the amp modeling and use the cool effects. Switching is very easy, and you can pre-assign a ton of different pedalboards, all very fast to switch.

Plus, editing it with the iPad is SO very cool and fast. And then you can leave the iPad at home if you want. I've played a bunch of gigs with the iPB-10 without the iPad.

digitech-multi_ipb10_001.jpg

gag halfrunt said:
iPB-10. I bypass the amp modeling and use the cool effects. Switching is very easy, and you can pre-assign a ton of different pedalboards, all very fast to switch.

Plus, editing it with the iPad is SO very cool and fast. And then you can leave the iPad at home if you want. I've played a bunch of gigs with the iPB-10 without the iPad.

digitech-multi_ipb10_001.jpg

Man...if only that thing had MIDI, it would be hard to resist trying one out.

That doesnt have MIDI switching??? That's a must!! Got to have it all iin one.... at least for me.

Im thinking hard about an m13 as i have found several used ones on the guitarcenter web site for $299 which seems like a hell of a deal.
-mp-

zepplin490 said:
Im thinking hard about an m13 as i have found several used ones on the guitarcenter web site for $299 which seems like a hell of a deal.
-mp-

That is a killer deal- And I stand corrected, I've read that you can get the M13 set up for four cable method...All of these units will work well with your MTS rig and the price is right. Probably the best overall is the TC Electronics G System but its about a grand- and doesnt have the Volume/Wah...

Well the m13 doesnt come with a wah/volume pedal but Line 6 offers an ad on pedal for those needs, not sure on what it costs but i am pretty sure that i am going to get the M13 it seems to be exactly what I am looking for, Just stomp boxes (and a S*%TLoad of em) and no amp modeling. I will probably hold onto my Boss NS-2 noise gate but beyond that the M13 has everything i would ever need and more, Just need to sell my 1987 Charvel Model 4 and ill be ordering one from guitar center.
-mp-

Here's an example of the GT 10 using 4CM. This guy has it dialed in- Very transparent. I know its with a JVM but I get the same transparency with my RM100's and RM20. Killer set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpmbEcYfEZI

rblyn said:
zepplin490 said:
-mp-

That is a killer deal- And I stand corrected, I've read that you can get the M13 set up for four cable method...All of these units will work well with your MTS rig and the price is right. Probably the best overall is the TC Electronics G System but its about a grand- and doesnt have the Volume/Wah...

Do u have the g system or use it with any mts amps I have herd mixed reviews on the g system it sounds like a great unit but idk lots of mixed reviews

the crush 36 said:
rblyn said:
zepplin490 said:
-mp-

Do u have the g system or use it with any mts amps I have herd mixed reviews on the g system it sounds like a great unit but idk lots of mixed reviews

No, I had a Nova effects unit but returned it (no way to run anywhere but in front of the amp) but I have heard good things about the G system both here on the forums and from other guitarists I know- Still, from what I am hearing, it doesnt justify the price difference (at least for me)

zepplin490 said:
Well the m13 doesnt come with a wah/volume pedal but Line 6 offers an ad on pedal for those needs, not sure on what it costs but i am pretty sure that i am going to get the M13 it seems to be exactly what I am looking for, Just stomp boxes (and a S*%TLoad of em) and no amp modeling. I will probably hold onto my Boss NS-2 noise gate but beyond that the M13 has everything i would ever need and more, Just need to sell my 1987 Charvel Model 4 and ill be ordering one from guitar center.
-mp-
A few things about the M13:

- I does 4CM and does it very well, easily and with great routing flexibility. I run column A on mine in front. Not only do I typically keep OD pedals off of my board, I found uses for the fuzz and distortion pedal models in there I never thought I would. Great for impact in small parts of songs as an alternate tone.

- Having all the scenes available to program gives great flexibility and it's as easy to work with as pedals. Literally exactly the same and you can even set it up to store changes like a pedal meaning the knob stays where you last had it if you go to another or turn it off. So easy and intuitive.

- There are optional pedals you can use if you want or need volume and wah effects. I have yet to ever replace a real wah with a modeled on, but I have used them for convenience at times and they will get you by.

- There is a good gate in the M13 and you can either set it up as an effect or a globally on parameter to avoid using up a pedal slot in your scenes.

- The sound quality is about what I would expect from any other pedal and for the ease of use and setup it was a good choice for me. For live use I think anyone would be hard pressed to know the difference between that and whatever else I would use.

The only thing I found with my m13 is that it can't be used to switch from modual to modual.I wanted to use the delay for my leads but can't switch from my rthyem modual#3 to lead modual#4 with one touch of the footswitch.I've owned mine for over a year and haven't really used it,it's not a midi footswitcher.

walshinator666 said:
The only thing I found with my m13 is that it can't be used to switch from modual to modual.I wanted to use the delay for my leads but can't switch from my rthyem modual#3 to lead modual#4 with one touch of the footswitch.I've owned mine for over a year and haven't really used it,it's not a midi footswitcher.

You can definately do this with the M13, I've seen it done......something must be wrong.

I wrote to line 6 support and they told me it was NOT designed for this.If you know how to do it,i'd sure like to know so I can make use of this.

I had a G-Force (can be had used for 6-$700) but I like to make adjustments live which is hard to do cycling through menus on stage. Over the years I ended up back at pedals and an effect gizmo. Stand alone pedals just sound better at the end of the day imho.

walshinator666 said:
I wrote to line 6 support and they told me it was NOT designed for this.If you know how to do it,i'd sure like to know so I can make use of this.

i bought a used m13 at guitarcenter so i'm now researching a number of things so that i can be ready when it comes off of the mandatory hold (about 28 more days).

It appears that the m13 sends a program change when changing scenes.

http://line6.com/support/message/382914

"The M13 DOES send out a program change when you switch a scene in latch or momentary mode. Scene 1 = program change 0. Scene 2, = program change 1, etc. "

and the randall rm100 can accept program changes:

"MIDI (RECEPTION) IMPLEMENTATION:
The EMB board recognizes Program Changes or (NOT both) Control Changes on a preselected MIDI Channel, see above for ?MIDI Channel Selection?.
Program Changes 1 to 128 select EMB presets 1 to 128, which are saved in EEPROM memory."

Without seeing exactly how, my assumption is that you set the randall to the module you want, press and hold the "channel select" button, then press the scene you want on the m13. This should map that program change with that module so that when you change to that scene, the randall changes to that module.

but note the randall ignores program change 0, which is apparently what scene "1C" (i.e. first scene on the board) so you'd have to not use that scene. but apparently there are 4 folders each of 12 scenes, so if you really need 1C's scene to send a program change the randall can recognize, you'd need to be in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th folder.

So since i dont have my m13 yet, can you try this, walshinator666 ? or anyone else if they can confirm...

zepplin490 said:
-mp-

i walked into my local guitar center a couple of days ago expecting to buy one of their used Boss GT-10s to use strictly for effects and likely channel switching via midi, for $279. ..But they had a used M13 in fine shape sitting up there as well and the guy told me it was $250. i didnt see that on their website so i either overlooked it, or it wasnt there yet because it was just traded in the day before but i think i got pretty lucky. i could turn around and sell it on ebay for a 50 dollar profit easy.