Attenuators

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamner1

Reaction score
These things scare the hell out of me, but if I want to go tube power amp, I will have to deal with one. I guess; getting old :shock:, wanting to preserve your hearing :roll:, & getting awesome tube tone 8), don't go well together. :lol:

Rob recommended the THD HotPlate. I will certainly look into that some more, but has anyone tried the one below or delt with this guy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16ohm-50watt-Speaker-Soak-true-guitar-amp-tube-brake-load-mass-Volume-Attenuator-/150944754447?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2325022b0f

That guy has been selling those on ebay for many years so i guess they must be okay for some applications. I have pulled up designs on DIY attenuators and EVERY one had a massive heatsink in it to dissapate all the heat. This little box does not and, from my research, will likely end up with you replacing tubes very often on anything bigger than a 20 watter. My budy uses a hotplate and that thing gets pretty **** warm on a 100W peavey. I wonder if it would make a cheap dummy load though?

this thread will go likely with the loadbox thread i just started

Yeah I always wonder about stuff like that... is it a you get what you pay for kind of thing. The HotPlate I think is $200-$300 new & the thing referenced is $40.