Hooking up multipule Heads?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyster

Reaction score
Well I now have 2 Rm1250 and soon will have 2 RM100s.

I want to be able to switch between the heads and if possable run two heads at the same time to my stack. I also want to run two guitars so my Dad and I can jam together when he is in town.

I've been talking with a local pedal maker about doing the switching for the guitars. I have looked at the Head bone from tone bone but that only seems to be A-B no Y to run two amps.

I'm looking to set this up once. I will be mounting my rack for the 1250s to the wall and floor. So it will be challenging to change stuff up later without alot of work

I have only used 1 amp to my cabs so this is all new to me.

Any thoughts and help on what I need to set this up?

Thanks Guys
Les

The switchbone does ABY: http://www.tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm

You could also setup a Voodoo GCX switcher to do the same thing, or if you're ambitious run all 4 RMs at the same time.

I haven't heard of anything with dual, independent inputs so you could jam with your dad, might just have to manually separate the rig.

Holy S*it Oyster 2 1250's?!!! and Another Rm100 onthe way. Man your certianly not the downsizing type.... crazy but makes me crazy jealous at the same time
Rock On Oyster!
-mp-

Looked at the Tone Bone but I think you can only run one amp at a time. I was hoping to get two amps running at the same time through one cab.

the Voodoo is awesome. I was looking at the amp selector witch switches four amps.

zepplin490 said:
Holy S*it Oyster 2 1250's?!!! and Another Rm100 onthe way. Man your certianly not the downsizing type.... crazy but makes me crazy jealous at the same time
Rock On Oyster!
-mp-

Yes 30 preamps !!!!! :twisted: Now I'm trying to set it up at the push of a button. Or two. :D

I've been really happy with my Lehle 1at3 for doing ABY combinations between 3 RM100s. It's not cheap, but it would survive a nuclear war.....

http://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-1at3-SGoS

I've never had one, but the headbone should handle two heads/one cab just fine....

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

Now doing all that with the press of a button....hmmm. The headbone does switching via external foot switch, maybe in combination with a GCX?

Oyster said:
Ya I would like the option to mix two amps to one cab. :D

YOu could always just run two heads into 2 halves of a stereo 412.....I don't care for it, but I know guys who do it all the time. Works for Joe Bonamassa ....lol. :lol:

I have wanted to run two amps into one cab also but i have been scared of hurting my speakers so i havent wired it up. I was going to hook my RM4's peavey stereo poweramp up to the two four ohm inputs on my randall warhead cab and then hook up my rm100 to the 8 ohm input on the cab and I think if i get an amp switcher and only play through one amp at a time it'll be ok just not 100% sure... Works fine with either or on at one time but havent tried both...
-mp-

Well since you are already ballin here why not look into the sound sculpture switchblade gl. All those inputs and outputs seem to be programmable but I'm not sure if you can run two simultaneous inputs.

Oyster said:

I read somewhere once that the loop created between the two amps going to one cab is bad news. I have my cabs wired in stereo so that I can run two amps into them. I have a pretty ambitious plan too involving three preamps and two stereo power amps going to two stereo 412 s. I don't think I can do it without a switchblade.

JayDA said:
Oyster said:

YOu could always just run two heads into 2 halves of a stereo 412.....I don't care for it, but I know guys who do it all the time. Works for Joe Bonamassa ....lol. :lol:

I was thinking stereo. But I still want a SAFE way to have two amps running Simultaneously on one cab. That seems to be thw million $ question

Why not get a Morley ABY box and use (2) 2x12 cabs with your RM100's? It would allow you to play in stereo and switch between heads live and when your dad comes over, you guys can jam..

If you're looking to run 2 RM100's into a 4x12, I'd get the cab rewired to 8 ohms for 2 sets of speakers at a time. Then use a head switcher or ABY box.

Thanks for the Ideas guys. I think I'm going to split the cabs and have an RM 1250 and RM 100 on each. Nothing is ever set in stone. I'm sure I'll keep changing what I have around in the ultimate quest for tone.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Great group here!!!!!! :D

You might by setting each amp to a different midi channel and programming your controller accordingly

JayDA said:
I've been really happy with my Lehle 1at3 for doing ABY combinations between 3 RM100s. It's not cheap, but it would survive a nuclear war.....

+1 for the Lehle stuff,
I use a P-Split ( passiv ) all the time in the studio
to drive my two RM100s
works great with short cables

Latest posts