Proof that I need lessons

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightdare

Reaction score
Not only in guitar, but recording and mixing 101 would probably come in handy

Had a little idea going on inside my head, and for once was able to put it down

Used my Angel and Mash-Oldano on this

Lot of things wrong though -apart from not even being finished (just listen to the repetitive drums)-
for starter a problem with latency
2 rhythm tracks in which I used way too much gain, and a solo so bad I had to do an overdub to try and hide mistakes
volume/panning differences, sloppy timing/playing

and to make matter worse, it's probably recorded too quiet, but for some reason couldn't boost the volume any higher without overdriving the DAW/Soundcard
(and I just noticed a glitch at the end of the solo where the drums and bass skip a note)

Oh well, here it is:

http://speedy.sh/fhJuk/untitled.mp3

Yeah, "Untitled"
...good working title would probably be "First attempts at disaster's hands"

:lol:

No worries about the level...that's what limiters on the master buss are for

Regarding the tracking, what did you use as far as mics, technique, and interface are concerned?

wesarvin said:
No worries about the level...that's what limiters on the master buss are for

Regarding the tracking, what did you use as far as mics, technique, and interface are concerned?

Yeah, but limiters keep the volume level, I can't even increase it further
Compared to any audio mp3 or cd, it's way under the limit
(hardly registers in good old WinAmp's Spectrum analyzer)
yet boosting will just start overdriving the master out

As for technique?
"Let's see what this does" was my basic approach

Nothing miced
Reaper used as DAW and sequencer
Drums and bass are VSTs
Guitars went into the RM4 / MPX G2 straight into an E-mu 1212m
-Next time I'm just gonna record every track dry and handle FX with the DAW,... if my old PC can handle it
Not to mention try to find more suitable guitars for certain parts-
Using IRs in LePou LeCab to mimick the last stage

Took the bottom and top off the guitars by simple LP HP, and only added reverb and compression on the solos

Lol, I meant recording technique.

Do you have the ability to use a mic? Sometimes a 57 can do wonders. Surprisingly simple, yet just sounds right in a mix.

As for limiters, yes they keep things level, but allow you a higher rms level. They tame the transient peaks thus allowing you to increase the make up gain. That'll let you turn things up without clipping your output bus.

Well that was my recording technique :lol:

Micing is gonna be a later step when I get the means to build an iso-cab
as it is I can only put my RT2/50 + 2x12 on whispermode, so it's not as if I'll get to introduce any poweramp distortion, speaker breakup or mic overload
for the time being IRs are gonna have to do the job (and got enough of them to experiment)

Apartment?

I used to have that issue, still kinda do as the next door neighbor is a yoga instructor who teaches lessons from her house. Their meditation sessions don't interrupt us one bit.

If neighbors are an issue, try to time tracking when they're at work or just ask them if you can be loud for a few hours. I hate sounding like a nag, but the only true way to get killer tone is to crank the rig and stick a mic in front of it. Also, it's a good potential of a song, but just needs to be finished. A good friend asked once "do you want your name on this?" That staying stuck with me for everything I do nowadays. Go ahead and finish her up, even if its just for a fun hobby.

Not horrible in my opinion. Volume is a little low, as you stated, but still respectable to turn up the volumes on WMP & the PC.

The playing was pretty good in my opinion. Had a little RATT feel to it.

As a first pass, excellent...If you are really into it, you will learn something new every session...

Come to think of it, I should know more... :cry:

In all seriousness, you obviously can play better than you record...That's good...Learning to record is easy once you get a few basics down...Then it's all refinement...As I said, great start and it's only up from here!!!

Thanks for the comments

ATM I'm trying to put most of my efforts towards playing, but opened a can of worms with the added complexity of laying things down
Because getting good tone noodling about is easy, getting good recorded tone already is a chore
and getting that recorded tone to sit in a mix is quite difficult

The IRs sound nothing like my 2x12 + ears, giving a lot of problems I don't usually have to worry about
(I think a major factor is that 'live' I'm using 100% preamp distortion, and have no knowledge how the IR's were recorded i.e: full blast? Tubes cooking, but speaker not distorting? Half power out/low rated speakers?

So I have to dig in and try and error to achieve favorable results (not striving for an identical tone, just a good tone)
and after that, hope for a good sit in the mix, or balance the crap out of things again

Latest posts