GSP1101 mini-review

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugg

Reaction score
I just got the GSP1101 and thought I would post my initial thoughts. Feel free to ask questions about the unit. I have not decided if I am going to keep it yet, so it may end up going back next week.

My signal path is GSP1101 preamp or Egnater M4 preamp (switchable) into GSP1101 effects loop return or dry (also switchable) into a Randall RT2/50 power amp into a Marshall 1960A cab w/ V30's. The switching is done with a SwitchBlade 8 switching matrix.

The GSP1101 is VERY transparent. I spent about an hour switching back and forth between dry and the effects portion of processor (in a serial loop) and I couldn't tell a difference. I think the digital path may take away a tiny bit of the tube warmth, but it's not obvious at all. The unit has several configurations for output types. The unit will compensate tonally for running into the input or effects loop of your guitar amp, a power amp, or a mixing board. To make the unit sound good the settings must be correct for your situation. Also worth noting, the unit will disable the cab emulations if you select a guitar amp as your output.

The amp models and preamp effects (stomp boxes) are great. I did a direct compare between my modified Tube Screamer and the GSP1101's emulation and the breakup was identical. The only thing the GSP1101 lacked was some of the warm mid boost that was in the TS. The fuzz box models were also nice.

For those like me that were looking to buy the GSP1101 just for the effects, you might want to look elsewhere.
My biggest problem with the unit is NO WET/DRY MIX on the effects! All effects carry the dry signal so when you try to mix them in parallel with a dry analog signal you get bad phasing issues. This may or may not be an issue for you since the processor is so transparent. Being an analog tube purist it bugs me to run anything digital in a serial loop even though I can't hear an immediate difference.
The time base effects like delay and reverb are weak. If you're just looking for delay and reverb, this unit is not for you. It's like Digitech built this processor as a modeler + preamp + chorus effects and then added the reverb and delay as an afterthought. The chorus effects are good. I particularly liked the UniVibe, MXR and TC models.

I still have not decided if I want to keep this unit. I was hoping the time-based effects would be on par with the G-Major I just sold. However, the unit's transparency, excellent amp and stomp box models, and nice chorus effects are definitely worth the price. If the unit had dry/wet mix controls on the time-based effects I would definitely keep it. Maybe Digitech will add this in a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath. At this point I'm thinking of returning the Digitech and ordering an AxeFx. I just don't want to wait 4 to 6 months without effects!

Can you run the "4 cable method" without sucking all the tone out of your amp?

In other words, can you run your guitar into the 1101 to use wah wah and any other front end effects, then go into your amp to utilize its preamp, then put the 1101's time based effects in your amp's effects loop? All without noticeably affecting your amp's tone?

Hey Gary,

I'm working on that this weekend. I set it up 4 cable and backed off because I think I was overwhelmed. I will say another down side of this unit is it's a little complicated, not real easy, not real hard either mind you, it just takes time to learn. Like Ugg, I am only somewhat impressed with the unit. The transparency is not all there. I thought the delays and verbs were good, I don't use verb much. I am a delay freak and I thought the delays have a Hi Fi - TC electronics type sound to them. And the mix knob on several of the delays is such that as you mix the effect up the actual sound/volume of your guitar without the delay decreases! I hate that. That will mean getting your stage volume correct will take a lot off work. The delay spill-over feature however is spectacular. I love this and considered keeping it just for that. It does effect your tone a bit though and for some it will not be enough to worry about. It introduced a slight graininess that I do not like. I also thought the chorusing was good, but I didn't care for the TC model at all and I honestly thought the rotating speaker was mediocre at best. Keep in mind I use the Vox Tone Lab SE in my effects loop with an EbTech line shifter, and the Tone Lab has the best Rotating Speaker I have ever heard. Later tonight I am going to hook it up to hear only the stomp boxes, meaning I will be listening to the Tube Screamers, Fuzz and Distortions. If it can do these well I may keep it. Otherwise it's back to Sweetwater for a store credit where I will most likely pick up the newer Vox Tone Lab LE. I will not be evaluating the amp models at all.

I wouldn't say don't buy it, it's worth a shot and may work for some. I play more roots oriented (Allman Brothers, Govt Mule, Arc Angels, Black Crowes) so my sounds are more low gain and I depend on the sound of my amp not to be messed with too much. If I were using a super clean super dirty hard rock amp set up , I might like it more. It is very well priced and affordable too so ... the jury is out.

Well, I was able to spend a little more time with the "pre" pre-amp effects. This would be the section of the unit that has the overdrives, distortons and fuzz effects proir to going out of cable "two" to the input of the front end of the amp, when using the four cable method. Some of these effects are pretty good. Most notable were the TS808, DOD 250, Big Muff Pi & Demeter Fuzz. Even though the sound of these and the compression and EQ effects were nice, they all imparted a certian change to the attack of the picking response. I found this disturbing. Those of you that have been on this forum a while probably know I even like old school "sag" more than most. This was beyond freindly "give" in the attack. It felt unnatural, even disregarding that compression and fuzz effects are supposed to change attack. I still noticed it with the overdrives. It had to be the DSP conversion thing. This unit just is not for me.

How much does this unit list and sell for, ballpark figure? Reason I'm asking is that if its an expensive unit, why not consider the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx instead? I've heard nothing but great reviews about it and picked up one myself but have not really messed with it yet. I will soon however :twisted:

Yep, that's what I paid too, from Sweetwater. Great customer service those guys. Let us know what you think Ned. I toyed around with the models real quick when I first got it and it had some cool amps in it.

Tommy,

I had the old GSP 2101 for a few years, I just never connected with it. It was too complicated, the FX were average, and the preamp section really sounded like caca. I've never really liked anything Digitech has made. It's a shame, the new unit sounds as bad as the older version. My old Chameleon was way better than the 2101, both Fx and preamp, and seamless switching. Hopefully you have 45 days to return it !

H

Hey Howard,

Yep, I got the return authorization # today. Again I really have to give thumbs up to Sweetwater. They assign a sales person to you and they work with you. It's not like other catalog/online retailers. You pay a little bit more for some of their stuff (not much really) but they give the royal treatment. I hate getting left hanging on stuff so I guess its nice. Never been much on the Digitech stuff myself either. Didn't really NEED to change but I really thought the unit sounded cool. Oh well, looks like I go shopping on store credit now.

Hi guys. I spent some more time with the unit totally on it's own and with my M4 tube preamp in the loop. I have the GSP1101 output set to "flat power amp" as I found the "tube power amp" setting colored the sound too much.

With the M4 in the GSP1101's loop the sound is transparent but it is more sterile and less organic than running just the M4 + tube power amp. I've found the sound is also sterile when using the unit by itself with amp modeling into a tube power amp. The breakup and sound of a real amp is there (it doesn't sound digital or harsh) but tone is flat and compressed like it's going through a solid state amp. It's similar to what I was describing with the Tube Screamer model. The overdrive break up is dead on but the warmth and midrange of the real pedal isn't there.

Comparing the Fender amp models to my Alembic tube pre (same circuit of a Fender Bassman), the Alembic sounded glassier and warmer while the amp models were flat and lacked high end. I was able to compensate some with the parametric EQ, but it still wasn't the same. Speaking of the parametric EQ, it is enabled on most of the presets and in most cases the presets will sound better with the EQ disabled when running a tube pre in the loop. I have not played with all of the amp models yet but I did find the Soldano SLO-100 model is nice with a boost pedal in front. The Dual Rectifier model is awful, no where near the real thing.

The wah models were decent in front of the M4 and internal amp models. Having a MIDI controlled wah is nice, but you have to tweak the min/max for the expression pedal to get the right range of pedal travel.

After playing with the delays and reverbs I have to say they are better than I thought, although still lacking compared to a Lexicon or tc unit. The parameters, however, do not allow enough control and are oddly named. It took me a bit to figure out what was what.

Overall, I think the unit is a good purchase for guitarists who don't have a full tube amp rig or who want some of the stomp box and modulation models and can't afford each individual pedal. Those that already have a tube amp rig, especially with wet/dry parallel mixing, should skip this unit. I have considered keeping the unit just for the wah and effects models, but I just can't justify the price. If Digitech would add Dry/Wet mixing capabilities to the effects I would keep it. Although the sound is transparent, the 100% digital path is just too sterile for me to use this unit for the effects. My BOSS SE70 is only 16-bit but it sounds better than the GSP when running parallel with analog dry.

I will be RMA'ing the GSP today.

Ugg

ned said:
$499 MAP. I've got one coming on Wednesday :)

I guess its not really fair to comare it to the Axe Fx at at least three times the price then. My Axe Fx Ultra is here but haven't had time to sit down with it and try it out. Besides, I have a gig in a couple days so I'm keeping it simple with a few high end pedals mounted in a rack drawer then turn them off/on using my Ground Control Pro and GCX Switcher.

Great reading here, thanks for sharing your thoughts guys! I should have one coming in on loan next week. I'll also be using it with my Egnater. I'll let you know what I think after I've lived with it for a while.

Orren

Latest posts