Opinions please..

Rigs, Clips & Tones OH MY

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

Gregg7
RM20

Opinions please..

Post by Gregg7 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Hey all, im new here and just recently started hearing about these mts amps. First of all i love the idea of their versatility. Anyways.. Ill be moving from a Mesa Tremoverb, to one of these...so my question is..

If i want beautiful super sparkling cleans, to bluesy sound, to a progressive rock tone, to the most brutal available.

Which mods would i want to look at?

Thanks all
Rangers Lead The Way

Gregg7
RM20

Post by Gregg7 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:20 pm

btw, im moving from the mesa due to its reliability issues. Ive had it fixed 3 times since ive owned it/bought it new...and i only had it one year o.O

And ive heard Randalls have no competitor when it comes to reliability.
Rangers Lead The Way

tonymustang302
Lynch Box

Post by tonymustang302 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:26 pm

I'd go with Blackface for cleans, and then a Pete modded Recto module for the rest. If you need a super brutal high gain module then get a Pete modded ultra XL
6505 > Mesa 4x12

Ibanez RG6CEX, Ibanez RG220 (my first guitar 8 years ago) New addition, Ibanez S7320 7

I'm Convinced National City bank is the root of all evil.

droptrd
RM100

Post by droptrd » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:34 pm

I have had many mesas over the years, and i have had problems with every single one of them. Dont get me wrong, I love 'em when they work!

blackface for clean
jtm for blues
SL+ for rock/hard rock
ultra xl for the metalz

treadplate for coolness
"Gimme some sugar Baby"

maximus1
Lynch Box

tone

Post by maximus1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:46 pm

don't have much exp. with the clean and mid gain, but for brutal there are a couple of routes, 1086 and a boost pedal(may not need the boost but its nice on this one), kh-3 kinda of krank and 5150 sounding to me, ultra or xl, tight super gainy 5150 style, very brutal imo.and the treadplate or grail basically the same thing, decent rectifier tone but sounds best boosted or more like the real thing anyway. there's more out there but any of those will cover brutal s*&t nicely :twisted:

Gregg7
RM20

Post by Gregg7 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:15 pm

awesome. ill check all these out. thanks guys
Rangers Lead The Way

insightibanez
Donating Member

Post by insightibanez » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:55 am

droptrd wrote:I have had many mesas over the years, and i have had problems with every single one of them. Dont get me wrong, I love 'em when they work!

blackface for clean
jtm for blues
SL+ for rock/hard rock
ultra xl for the metalz

treadplate for coolness
Excellent suggestions!!! 8)
Peavy Valveking
Sovtek Cab w/ V30s, G12T-75s
Agile Septor 7 string
Gibson Gothic LP 81/85 18v mod
Schecter C7 BKP Nailbombs/ Cold Sweat
Takamine GX-1000 BKP Miracle Mans
Hannah Montana Custom V

Is your heart prepared..........??

Shinozoku
Lynch Box

Post by Shinozoku » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm

insightibanez wrote:
droptrd wrote:I have had many mesas over the years, and i have had problems with every single one of them. Dont get me wrong, I love 'em when they work!

blackface for clean
jtm for blues
SL+ for rock/hard rock
ultra xl for the metalz

treadplate for coolness
Excellent suggestions!!! 8)
Indeed :D That's my exact module setup aside from the JTM, which is on my GAS list XD.
RM100M w/ Tung Sol 5881's
Blackface(self modded), Ultra Lead, SL+(out of commission), Ultra XL (self modded)
Vader 2x12 Cab
Edwards E-AL-128 with a Seymour Duncan JB

JKD
Donating Member

Post by JKD » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:21 pm

blackface for clean
jtm for blues
SL+ for rock/hard rock
ultra xl for the metalz

treadplate for coolness
Going to just +1 this, except I reckon a Grail or UltraXL for metal..oh and get the SL+ modded to JCM800 specs. if it isn't already :D

If you prefer a slightly darker clean, get a KH-1 or a modded Blackface.
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, GTO, SuperV

trendkill1168
RM100

Post by trendkill1168 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:14 pm

This is what I really want after playing most of these modules at one time or another...I'm thinkin the Blackface definately for cleans, a modded SL+ from Pete so you can do the JCM 800 thing or the more scooped tones from the modern Marshalls, modded Pete recto for well, the recto tones, and then a modded Pete Ultra to go from the Ultra to Ultra XL. That's pretty much gonna cover it all unless you want something that suits like blues to jazz. You gotta also think that you can add an OD to any of these modules and it's gonna act like an additional channel.
Amp: Peavey 5150
Cab: Vader 2X12
Guitars: BC Rich Jr. V, Ibanez RG3EX1

veets987
RM100

Post by veets987 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:43 pm

I myself went from a Tremoverb to the RM4 and RT2/50 for more versatility. Not gonna lie, i loved my Tremoverb and miss it. If i had the money i would have kept it and had both. The cleans and reverb were awesome and still missing them. Still havent found the clean to match that but that could have alot to do with missing the Reverb. I'm still looking for a good reverb to compliment my new rig. But i am loving my new rig.

Still have a few tweaks but getting closer and closer to "my" ideal tone. Im sure i will be changing my mind all the time though lol. I like the Blackface for a very articulate clean. And Im loving my Tweed for a little more gritty bluesy clean. Eventually i will be getting a few modules modded when i get the $. You want versatility you cant go wrong with these amps.

decoys
RM20

Post by decoys » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:55 pm

I had an Tremoverb, too. it was all good, as long as it wasnt fooling around, staying at the technician every couple of months ... i was really disappointed ... so, my rm100 doesnt sound exactly like it, but in reference to the usability like tube change to the sound options it can offer, it was the better choice.