Need Help - EMG's or Blackout's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptrd

Reaction score
Can't decide between EMG's or Seymour Duncan Blackout's. I hear the mustain blackout's are sweet.

I'm interested in this comparison as well. I use EMG's right now and they have great clarity for drop-tuned metal but they are slightly sterile sounding. I've never tried the Blackouts but I've listened to clips and they seem a little over bearing on the low end but I guess that could just be recordings with crappy camara mics. I had the Mustaine Live Wires in a Mustaine Dean V I used to have. They are based off of the passive JB/59 set and they had great crunch to them but they seemed to get a little muddy with lower tunings like the regular JB but **** they sounded great with standard or 1/2 step down tunings. I would definately run them in a guitar that was tuned to standard E. Very organic sounding pickups.

I did this review on a few PUPs,

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5321&highlight=emgs

hope this helps.

Im an EMG kinda guy, but I dig the SD Invader for 7 string stuff too.

trendkill1168 said:
I'm interested in this comparison as well. I use EMG's right now and they have great clarity for drop-tuned metal but they are slightly sterile sounding. I've never tried the Blackouts but I've listened to clips and they seem a little over bearing on the low end but I guess that could just be recordings with crappy camara mics. I had the Mustaine Live Wires in a Mustaine Dean V I used to have. They are based off of the passive JB/59 set and they had great crunch to them but they seemed to get a little muddy with lower tunings like the regular JB but **** they sounded great with standard or 1/2 step down tunings. I would definately run them in a guitar that was tuned to standard E. Very organic sounding pickups.
I am a big Seymour fan. I do own a couple JB's. The "custom" is killer too for a passive. I also like the duncan distortion C or lower tunings. Im looking for that "active" punch, output and tightness. I guess ill try the Blackout's. Doesnt sound like they would suck. I recently picked up an old ESP horison bolt-on. I has no pups. It was this lame metalic candy pinkish red. I say WAS becuase it currently is hanging down in my basement with a wet coat of primer on it. I bought this kit from stew mac to finish it. comes with primer, black, and clear - all in spray cans. Should be ready in a few days.

Droptrd :?:

Lemme know how that finish comes out, you should post some pics o fthe project so we can see the transformation. :p

I have always wanted to redo my GIBSON GOTHIC V as it has chips and agging to it, but never found the right kit to do it.

Lemme know.

:idea: D

droptrd said:
trendkill1168 said:
I am a big Seymour fan. I do own a couple JB's. The "custom" is killer too for a passive. I also like the duncan distortion C or lower tunings. Im looking for that "active" punch, output and tightness. I guess ill try the Blackout's. Doesnt sound like they would suck. I recently picked up an old ESP horison bolt-on. I has no pups. It was this lame metalic candy pinkish red. I say WAS becuase it currently is hanging down in my basement with a wet coat of primer on it. I bought this kit from stew mac to finish it. comes with primer, black, and clear - all in spray cans. Should be ready in a few days.

Man I'm thinking the same thing....I used to absolutely love the SH-5. I'm using EMG's and they just don't get that crunch like passives and if I remember correctly the Custom was also real good at downtuning. Usually I'm in drop C or C# so the low end is always a concern.

I've had both pickups in the same axes......conclusion.......I think the EMG's are great if your guitar has decent mass and tone already.....I found that the Blackouts were too much signal in my hardtail mahogany guitars and sounded very good in my floyd routed models that I have used........that's my take on it......although.....I understand that the Blackouts also do well in Alder bodies......another thing to consider are the new EMG-X pickups coming out......they are essentially EMG's combatant to the Blackouts......similar in design I would think.....so in a nutshell......if you have an axe that may sound thin with EMG's.......then perhaps the Blackout or EMG-X might be a good call for you.....

Hmmmmmm....my Warmoth is Alder with a recessed Floyd so maybe I could benefit from the Blackouts. Might have to pick one up for the hell of it.

maximus1 said:
how would you describe duncan invaders for 7 or even 6 string?

Dark. But brutal. Nice and open sounding. Not so good for recording but LIVE is fantastic. I like it paired with a guitar with EMGs.

TheHunter said:
maximus1 said:
how would you describe duncan invaders for 7 or even 6 string?

Dark. But brutal. Nice and open sounding. Not so good for recording but LIVE is fantastic. I like it paired with a guitar with EMGs.

Yeah that's true.....they are a very BIG sounding pickup......but they are not tight or defined like actives......but if you want big and thick......there you go... :twisted:

I've had both EMGs and currently have a Blackout. The EMGs felt a little too one dimensional (at least the 81 did). I replaced the EMGs in my Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with a JB/59 set. I didn't really like this set either... until I went down to a 10.5-48 set by D'Addario for Std D and drop C tunings. The heavy 12s I had on it sounded too "tubby" to me. Now the axe has some more bite to the tone.

The Blackout on my Alexi? I like that one. It's a rock maple through neck with an Alder body. But even here I'm finding the tone not as 3-dimensional.

My SG? I'm going from the 498T to a 57 Classic in the bridge. The 498T sounds good but the 57 to me sounds better. I liked the 61 Reissue better than the Standard when I bought the Standard, but I wasn't able to get the 61 Reissue for under $1200 at the time like I did the Standard.

Julia said:
I've had both EMGs and currently have a Blackout. The EMGs felt a little too one dimensional (at least the 81 did). I replaced the EMGs in my Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with a JB/59 set. I didn't really like this set either... until I went down to a 10.5-48 set by D'Addario for Std D and drop C tunings. The heavy 12s I had on it sounded too "tubby" to me. Now the axe has some more bite to the tone.

The Blackout on my Alexi? I like that one. It's a rock maple through neck with an Alder body. But even here I'm finding the tone not as 3-dimensional.

My SG? I'm going from the 498T to a 57 Classic in the bridge. The 498T sounds good but the 57 to me sounds better. I liked the 61 Reissue better than the Standard when I bought the Standard, but I wasn't able to get the 61 Reissue for under $1200 at the time like I did the Standard.

Man I see alot of metal players using JB's for drop-tuned metal like Lamb of God, Arch Enemy, Darkest Hour, etc... For some reason I can't get them to sound good downtuned. Maybe it's my sh!tty playing. :D

I used JB's for a while......but then I re-visited EMG's and cannot go back to passives as they do not have that hyper fast attack and clarity of actives......IMO......although I hear great things about those BK pickups...

The SH-6 has very little low end so it sounds pretty crappy in standard tunings. But it balances well for deep drop tunings

shred-o-holic said:
I used JB's for a while......but then I re-visited EMG's and cannot go back to passives as they do not have that hyper fast attack and clarity of actives......IMO......although I hear great things about those BK pickups...

I have to agree with you here. I like the sound of a good Passive PUP but nothing tickles me the way an EMG does, and IMHO EMGs crush the BO, ive tried 2 guitars with them, one 7 and one 6 and both of them sound just OK. Take an EMG loaded guitar any day!

trendkill1168 said:
Julia said:

Man I see alot of metal players using JB's for drop-tuned metal like Lamb of God, Arch Enemy, Darkest Hour, etc... For some reason I can't get them to sound good downtuned. Maybe it's my sh!tty playing. :D
LoG uses a 59 :) But yeah, I dunno how Michael Ammot got his sound so clear with those pickups, on that guitar (24.75" scale) =/

Shinozoku said:
trendkill1168 said:
Julia said:

LoG uses a 59 :) But yeah, I dunno how Michael Ammot got his sound so clear with those pickups, on that guitar (24.75" scale) =/
They have they presence on thier Mark IV's dimed.

Latest posts