Speaker choices

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtr31

Reaction score
I am looking at picking up a 212 cab probably an Avatar contemp or premier .another cab I am looking at is the Gflex lynch.

I am running the RM4.

I am concerned as the other guitar player uses a 412 Marshall cab , and I want to make sure I can cut live .

Am I better with an open or closed back 212 .
speakers I was looking at are the Private Jack, Hellatone 60 ,60L.

I like a tight tone a la lynch Vanhalen, Scorpions .

any suggestions would be cool .JMG I know you have the PJ and Governors .
And I know Roccaforte swears by the PJ in his closed 412.

thanks
S

you should be fine against the 4x12. Deffinately stay away from the open backs. A closed back will give you a tight focused sound. For speakers id go with the hella 60's or the vin 30's(pretty much the same thing). I personally am not a fan of eminence guitar speakers.

Hellatone 60s are Vintage 30s except they're broken in 15 hrs and relabeled.

Avatar Contemporary is a deeper and wider cab than the Marshall 1960. It's more like an Orange cab. I run two 212s simply because it's easier for me to load two of these than one 412. The 412s weigh a ton.

The Vintage and Traditional w/ closed back are more like the 1960 sizewise.

Cool .What is the difference between the Hellatone 60 and 60L as far as tone goes .

Julia, do all the lynch mods sound good through the Contemps . do you fing one 212 alone is boxy at all or is it pretty open sounding ?

actually there is a guy locally selling the Genz Benz Lynch cab w/ upgraded hellatone 60's for around $400 .
anyone use this cab and opinions?

all reviews I have read say its pretty smoking for hard rock /metal and sound more like a 412

gtr31 said:
actually there is a guy locally selling the Genz Benz Lynch cab w/ upgraded hellatone 60's for around $400 .
anyone use this cab and opinions?

all reviews I have read say its pretty smoking for hard rock /metal and sound more like a 412

Killer cab...but I don't know whether that speaker counts as an upgrade or not...the stock speakers were designed to basically be stiffer v30s..according to the sales blurb, regular v30s (which is basically what a Hellatone 60 is) could be shredded at high volumes...could'a all been marketing speak though :D