How can I get this tone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj14Eqhl8Z8

Listen to it in 480p for stereo. It's in the beginning and at :30. I don't know why I like that guitar tone. What module could get me there? Doesn't sound saturated at all. More Marshally but with extra bite and much more in your face.

Probably with a Hughes & Kettner Triamp. The tones sound very similar to the high gain channel. this is also an EL34 amp. Also you can get something similar with a JVM.

I got something similar with a Switchblade but backed out at the last minute because they didn't have the footswitch, and getting a replacement was like waiting 6 months.

I was mostly looking for a specific module to get me there. I never actually tried EL34s yet. My amp is loaded with 2 Ruby 6L6s in the middle and 2 Svetlana 6550s on the outside. That's probably not helping me achieve the tone.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/01%20Warrior%20%28Southern%20Arrowwood%29.m4a

Here's a higher quality version.

Nightdare said:
The spongy feel about it makes me say Ultra

then again, I heard similar in one of Salvation's modules

....Mamba?

Really? An Ultra? I think that module is too saturated for that tone. Maybe with EL34s though. Not sure.

EDIT: It seems my JF Brown can kinda get there but there is still something about that tone that all my modules lack.

No. I'm and serious here... you might be able to do it with a SL+. Try adding a Dano CC TOD2 or a Paul Cochrane Timmy in front of the amp. Unless you're cranking those EL34s it won't happen, and that's a recorded tone as well. And through what speakers?

Order a Timmy from Paul -- they're only $129 direct from him, but you'll wait a couple months or so. He's a good guy and could charge what the ripoff artists on ebay are selling his pedal for ($200-300) but you get to have it NOW.

The Timmy is a full range pedal and just tightens up the signal. The Danelectro TOD is like adding a Fulltone OCD in front. Neither is going to hurt your tone. The Dano has a little more bite than the OCD.

I think the Mamba is more low end focussed than this clip. This tone has a cleaner articulation within the high gain, I'm hearing Angel or perhaps MashAll? SL+ without the 800tone boosted with a clean od may do it too.

I can hear three layers of amps in the intro. You have to be carefull when chasing these tones. There is a clean amp on top of what sounds like a jcm800 which is over a mesa buried way in the mix and all of this is mixed with the bass which has been run through a distorted guitar amp and prolly a di track as well.

I checked out their gear and you were close. It's an Ubershall with a JCM900 and some kind of Krank. What an odd mix..O well.

Hmm.. So maybe an ANGEL with a Savage or Blackface voicing (maybe Channel 3 kinda thing going on) will work :D Definitely need to go stereo with a light clean (the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive comes to mind with this tone).

I reckon a Salvation XTC will get you in that area. To me it doesn't sound like it's using that much gain at all. It's a spongy sort of sound (very squishy Bogner-like). At first listen I thought it sounded like an XTC and Recto blended.
Cheers

tone chasing, especially on multi-layered tracks, especially without the exact same gear and trying to "get close" is just too hard, i've given up.
spending more time finding my own great tone

I'd guess it was called Warrior.

Think you'd be able to get similar tones with an Angel or Chupacabra to be honest. My chupacabra gets very similar tones with that - it's seriously one of the most overlooked modules and it shouldn't be, it's so versatile.

Btw the vocals were too dominant in track to me they hid too much of the guitars,bass and drums at least from listening on my iPhone :)