voodoo mods Great job,Best customer service ever.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Further Lo

Reaction score
just got my recto mod back from trace. i got the sear mod trace nailed exactly the tone i have been looking for. Trace and his crew were great to deal with and took the time to give me some tips on getting the tone i want. I will be sending another mod soon i want the Jose ug mod.I will try and get clips this weekend :shock:

Glad to hear your digging your Voodoo Mods. I have a few (HG Jose/UG Jose/Wrecks), and I like them all. The UG took a while to really speak to me. It sounded weird for quite some time, but over time the module started to sound much better(components burning or or whatever). I am glad this happened as I was on the fence on unloading it, but now I am keeping it.

I had a similar experience with my UG, interestingly. At first, I didn't think it sounded that much better than the SL+ it was based on, but it only seems to have gotten better with age. These days, I can't imagine being without it.

Rising Farce said:
I had a similar experience with my UG, interestingly. At first, I didn't think it sounded that much better than the SL+ it was based on, but it only seems to have gotten better with age. These days, I can't imagine being without it.
Glad I'm not the only one. I was really disappointed with it at first. Now I really like it. Strange how much the sound changed.

Hello guys! What you are experiencing is called the break-in process and it is very real. If you study metallurgy and see how much stress metals go through it makes perfect sense. Once resistors, capacitors, transformers, etc are in use in a circuit they begin to break in. On average resistors, capacitors, wire, pots, etc take approximately 40-50 hours to break in where as transformers take 100 hours.

IMHO it's not unlike waiting for a new speaker to break in. New speakers sounds bright and harsh - to my ears - and lack the warm bottom end. Once broken in the tone is smoother, richer and warmer. Harmonics sound sweeter and the tone is more three dimensional.

We offer a break in service for amps as well as preamps but as we have one RM100 we are not able to offer a break in service for the modules.

All the best!
Trace

Voodoo Amps said:
Hello guys! What you are experiencing is called the break-in process and it is very real. If you study metallurgy and see how much stress metals go through it makes perfect sense. Once resistors, capacitors, transformers, etc are in use in a circuit they begin to break in. On average resistors, capacitors, wire, pots, etc take approximately 40-50 hours to break in where as transformers take 100 hours.

IMHO it's not unlike waiting for a new speaker to break in. New speakers sounds bright and harsh - to my ears - and lack the warm bottom end. Once broken in the tone is smoother, richer and warmer. Harmonics sound sweeter and the tone is more three dimensional.

Make sense Trace. I was just surprised how much the sound changed, and it definitely took a while for mine to do that. Now I really dig the module. The Wreck style module sounds great as well. A break from the gainy modules is always welcome. Having both mods on one module was a good call. Glad you could do that.

danhops said:
Voodoo Amps said:

Make sense Trace. I was just surprised how much the sound changed, and it definitely took a while for mine to do that. Now I really dig the module. The Wreck style module sounds great as well. A break from the gainy modules is always welcome. Having both mods on one module was a good call. Glad you could do that.

If it's doable, we are always happy to accommodate! :) The AC30 Mod we have is also very cool. That can be used for clean tones (master full up and gain set lower) or it makes for a great rock sound as well by turning the gain up and setting the master lower.

As memory serves I believe there is a gentleman here that has this Mod. Perhaps he will pop in soon and comment.

I hope all is well with you Dan! The last time I saw you was at an AES show in NYC, correct? That goes back a few years now (lol). I would love to have you come to the shop but I know it's hard for you to get away from the studio.

All my best!!!
Trace

Voodoo Amps said:
I would love to have you come to the shop but I know it's hard for you to get away from the studio.
Studio closed 12/31/09. Unfortunately I have too much free time. I hope I can find something soon. Looking into possible career change right now. :(

Ok it sounds like it needs a break period, did the modules sound real bassy at first without much clarity at first ?

If memory serves, it sounded a little muffled and lacked harmonic complexity early on. I'd definitely give it some break-in time before forming an opinion.

Also, did you try it with the amp master set as high as possible, and the module volume much lower? That was Trace's recommendation to me, and it seems to work well.