RG75G3 out of guts, is it the tube?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiejok

Reaction score
Looked throught the entire forum and couldn`t find help for this issue

My RG75G3 is sounding out of power like if gain was at 0 when playing with distortion all the way up. no matter how i set it up, all i can get is a mild overdrive and the clean channel sounds very muddy also

Can you guys help me please, does this have anything to do with the tube?

if it does, how do i replace it?

I would really appreciate some feedback on this as it is my only amp and i use it A LOT

I would imagine that it is the tube. You should be able to just open the amp take it out and pop in a new one. Its not like power tubes that you have to bias and stuff I believe

the thing is, it says it has a tube/mosfet power section, would it make it more complicated?

no i dont think so. its just a preamp tube. the term tube/mosfet power section is just a different way of calling it a hybrid amp imo. you would about know all this if Randall actually put out more than a greeting card worth of a user manual out with their SS amps. Preamp tube are easily replaceable. If you are really unsure you can wait on more replies but this forum is very slow...try emailing them

dude, thank you so much

I also think it?s the tube. I was just playing with it a few minutes ago and when i turned it on, it made this awfull "bassy" sound like a very deep hum, after a minute it stopped and was working perfectly except for the lack of gain.

The controls are working perfect, so is the reverb.

Still i?m not sure since i have no experience in this kind of issues, is there any other reason why an amp looses its gain and make hums?

the gain loss is most likely due to the failing tube. a hum could come from anything though. hopefully replacing the tube will fix that. you could also check to see if you have a "ground/lift" switch on the back of the amp. switching to lift removes a 60 cycle hum but it probably not your issue. how to change a preamp tube: http://www.ehow.com/video_4438285_change-pre_amp-tubes-guitar-amps.html more helpful tips here http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f81/when-to-replace-tubes-60868.html

well it seems to be the tube

so, for replacement should i use a 12ax7 for more gain, or should i stick with the 12at7?

if you feel you need more than it can give then sure. actually right before I bought my RH300G3 head recently a coworker who knows his amps noticed it came with an 12at7 and suggested I switch it out for an 12ax7. While the ax has more gain he said the at would be tighter sounding and for now at least thats what I want. Its up to you!

Thank you so much for the help pal!

i?m gonna order the tube right now, take care!

hey no problem i hope it works out for you. gimme an update if you can id like to know the outcome

eddiejok said:
well it seems to be the tube

so, for replacement should i use a 12ax7 for more gain, or should i stick with the 12at7?
Really depends on your style.
I usually prefer AX7s in gain stages, but in a hybrid it *could* play a little "loose" for really fast stuff.