Randall, Please make a stereo poweramp based on the V2/T2!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derker

Reaction score
The world is missing a high powered stereo solidstate poweramp voiced for guitar. Today's modeling preamps require clean neutral power, as they already simluate power amp distortion in the amps they model. However, most solid state poweramps are made for PA purposes, and have frequency responses that can sound awkward for guitar, or output at an impedence that doesn't mesh well with guitar cabs. Speaker damping and slew rates can also be issues.

I think Randall could easily fill this space in the market by releasing a rack mount 2U stereo poweramp based on the designs from the T2/V2 series. The poweramps in these heads sound great and work incredibly well in guitar rigs. Include the standard three knobs (Volume/Depth/Presence) on each side, as well as the switchable graphic EQ. I don't really see much of a reason to have it MIDI switchable, as most modeler users will have that kind of stuff built into their patches.

I think Randall could really have a slam dunk with a product like this, AxeFX users are still searching for the ideal solid state power amp, one that requires little/no tweaking in the modeler for a convincing tone and feel.

What do you guys think?

What about the Velocity 300 or the ART SLA2? I haven't owned either, being an all-tube user, but I've heard good reviews on both

Thanks for the reply. The new Rocktron is only 150w per side at 8ohm, which isnt very much. The SLA is a good contender on paper, but it lacks the connectivity as it has banana plugs on the back. Not a super huge deal, but still wasn't designed to interface with guitar gear. Also, many of the fuller range poweramps (such as the SLA) have a certain frequency response and lack a certain feel that require extra tweaks within the preamp.

Randall really has a good design with the poweramps in the T2/V2 series. There is something about their tube driven MOSFET power sections that play extremely well with guitar cabs, and the feel is very familiar to guitar players with less need for tweaking. Having a stereo poweramp based on this design would be awesome, in my opinion. Having the graphic EQ would also be super handy for quick tweaks for different rooms/venues, and making it switchable from the front makes it extremely easy to A/B.

Latest posts