Cyclone with Marshall 1960, AND JCM 900 Cabs QUESTION

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randall_lover

Reaction score
Okay- So I have matching Marshall 1960 Cabs- which as some of you may know is 8ohms at stereo and 16ohm and 4ohms mono. I really need to know what the best way to hook it up would be that would maximize the sound and power, obviously without frying my Cyclone. Any ideas??

I have a Cyclone and a 1960A and a Basson 4x12. I run the Marshall at 4 ohms and the Basson is 8 ohms and I've never had a problem switching between the two. Impedence matching is more important with tube power sections than it is with SS I think. The Basson rips by the way...to bad they went out of business.

with a SS amp you get the maximum power driving a lower impedance (typically anyway, it does depends on how the amp was designed. Some amps will deliver full power into 8 or 4 ohms).

Given your setup (if you want to run both cabs) you should set them each for 16ohm mono, resulting in 8ohms of load with the both cabs in parallel. I f you set your cabs to 4 ohms, the parallel combination would be 2 ohms and not many amps can drive 2ohms. On the back of the amp where you connect the speakers it should tell you the minimum impedance allowed.