Please help with RT100h!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, my nice new RT100's been sitting in a corner for the better part of the week while I waited for my cabinet to show up. Well, now it's here, and I have everything hooked up.

My clean channel works great, but as for BOTH overdrive channels, they are the quietest 100w of power I've ever heard. I have cranked the "level" all the way up on both channels, and cranked the volume, yet the amp is just not loud. There's just...very little sound. All I'm getting is fuzz, with a slight sound of guitar coming through.

Naturally, Randall's closed, so I can't contact them until tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions? Here's what I've done:

1. Turn on the Power switch and wait the recommended 30 seconds before hitting the Standby switch.

2. I've turned up all the knobs; gain, bass, mids, treble, level, and volume. I get SOME sound, but not a lot. I can crank all the knobs and I can still sit in front of the cabinet without having my head rattled....BOTH overdrive channels

3. When I've shut it down, I've also followed the shutdown procedures with shutting down the Standby and Power.

I have an 8ohm cabinet. I've plugged the speaker wire into both connectors for the daisy chain. I get the same results. in the back of the head I also have the speaker cable connected into the 8ohm jack, not the 4ohm jack.

Am I doing something wrong? The clean channel works just as it should, which tells me I do have the head and the cab connected properly.

I was all happy and all excited, ready to ride the lightning, and now...nothing. Very disappointing.

ctgblue said:
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9798

my initial guess is you have a preamp tube that is loose or dead, but see the thread above

Thanks for the heads up. Given that it was just shipped, I'd like to try to tighten the preamp tube, or at least check them. I take it these are just pretty much "plug n play?"

Also, if a preamp tube was the problem, wouldn't it cause all 3 channels to fail?

ctgblue said:
Daze of October said:
Also, if a preamp tube was the problem, wouldn't it cause all 3 channels to fail?

Not necessarily, some preamp tubes are only used in the gain stages of individual channels.

I tried making sure all the tubes were connected, and nothing was loose. Also, when I turn up the bass anywhere past the 1/2 mark and turn the level up, all I get is a bunch of static and breaking up, like you'd hear on a radio station as you're losing reception. I know it's not my cabinet, because the cabinet works great with the clean channel.

I'm going to call Randall when they open and see if we can troubleshoot the issue over the phone, because it could be something real simple that came out of adjustment during shipping before I make arrangements to ship it back.

The whole thing just sends me over the edge. I ordered the head and got it like 5 days ago, and I've been waiting on the cab. The cab arrived last night, I'm all excited, and ready to go, only to be stuck with something that doesn't work. I can appreciate that effective products make it out the door all the time, and I can understand that, but if I wind up with a replacement that has the same issues, I won't be waiting for a third one.