Questions about Randall RG50TC

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyM

Reaction score
Bought this amp yesterday after about an hour of in-store testing, and I couldn't be more satisfied with the sound (until I get some new tubes and speakers in it, that is).

A few things struck me as odd about it though:

Speaker output. When I run an extension cab through the speaker out on the back of the amp, no sound comes from the main speaker in the combo. I was planning to run two speakers with this (including the one already in the combo). Rewiring it would be simple enough, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Is the extension cab just stealing power from the main speaker, or is the main speaker not supposed to receive any power when running an extension cab?

Effects loop. On the footswitch is a button for Reverb/Effects. On my old amp the effects loop was completely footswitchable; I could have all of my effects turned on and not hear any of them until I pressed the Effects Loop button on the footswitch. On this one, however, the effects loop button doesn't appear to do much; there might be a small change in volume, but the effects are constantly running through the amp (even with the effects loop off). Is this normal?

Hi there,

I recently bought an RG50tc and can help with one of your questions.

The external speaker socket automatically cuts the feed to the internal speaker. This means that as it stands you can't cause damage by forgetting to plug in a speaker as it defaults to the internal speaker.

I found this a bummer as I wanted to run the amp through my Sequis Elemental (attenuator and cab sim) to reduce output while still using the built in speaker.

For my amp (silver front panel, no headphone jack) there was a simple fix. Where the leads to the internal speaker connect there are a spare set of unused spade connecters. I took the jack off one end of a speaker cable and attached female spade connectors which I could fit to the unused connectors on the speaker. I could then plug this into the 8 ohm speaker output and the wired connection will be bypassed; or in my case I go from the 8 ohm output into the attenuator and then from the attenuator to the the new lead to speaker I have made.

Simple job and little or no soldering required depending on what sort of spade connectors you get. Eventually I will drill a hole in the board behind the speaker an mount a jack socket to connect my new lead to. At the moment I have the rear grill removed and the cable hanging out.

Unfortunately mine has stopped working (see my next post) and so I can't test the effects loop for you.

Hope that all makes sense!