NAD: Fortin - modded Diavlo - just got the MF blowout stack

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gag halfrunt

Reaction score
I saw the tip here last week that Musicians Friend was blowing out the Randall Diavlo RD50s for $299. When I heard that Mike had modded these late versions, I figured I couldn't go wrong with these amps. Well I was right!

MF was blowing out the 1x12 cabs for $99 each, so I figured I'd pick up two of them for the full mini stack (is there such a thing as full mini?) for $497. Not bad for an entire rig. Anyway, it got here today, and it has the little "Modified by Mike Fortin" hangtag. But once I heard the amp, I knew for sure Mike had touched it. I've owed 3 other amps Mike has modded (and I regret selling them all :(). It really does have that special Fortin high gain, special mids tone. And at 50w, this amp will keep up with most anything else. The two 1x12s are some pretty amazing cabs. I've owned a lot of 1x12s, and I've sold them all because they sounded boxy and small to me. I can tell you these sound great. I don't know the exact speaker (they're listed as 'Randall Diavlo speakers' and 50w RMS), but they sound great with this head.

Before trying the amp through the 1x12s, I ran it first through my 4x12 loaded with well broken in, Marshall-labeled Vintage 30s. The Fortin magic was obvious, so I tried the 1x12s, and they sound remarkably similar to the four V30s.

I'm not much of a clip guy, but I'll try to record something with my phone or video camera later today. But I have to get back to playing this amp. IT ROCKS HARD.

EDIT: MUCH BETTER CLIP https://soundcloud.com/bill-guitar/fortin-modded-diavlo-senn-609

20130130_141233.jpg

20130130_133554.jpg

I'll try that out, but I seem to be nowhere near mud even with the bass most of the way up... it's super tight :shock:
this is a real fun amp to play with, the more I play it the more I like it :)

Oregon said:
Lay ...
It...
Down...

Killer amount of amp at that price - great snags!
Thanks.

I really need to get set up for recording properly. With all the clipping, my cell phone recording does NOT do the amp justice.

EDIT: replaced the crappy phone recording with a better one via Sennheiser 609 into GarageBand.