NAD: Randall RT503H

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Just got a mint condition Randall Rt503H from roszatycki.. the amp was packed flawlessly and is in mint condition! Hooked it up about an hour ago and did my usual EQ setup and was really impressed with the amp, it has a great sparkly clean with a bright switch and is a great clean. Moving on to OD1, this channel has more gain than most other high gain amps on their lead channels. It can cover any metal; tone that you could ever wanna cover and even with the gain dialed back alot it will do a great mid-gain crunch. Then theres OD2, I did really not know what to expect out of this channel as OD1 has pretty much all the gain i could ever need, but of course Randall found a way too add more gain and still keep the tone tight and articulate and every bit of the gain is usable. So all around this is clearly a metal amplifier at its core but the clean channel with the gain dialed up can do some fine crunchy blues, the reverb is very good too I just wish it was footswitchable so i could turn it on for cleans and leads on the gain channels but ive got a hardWire Rv-7 that will take care of that problem... Randall only made this amp for one year i believe and they are very scarce, I was looking at getting either the 50 or 100 watt model back the year that they were released but then they just seemed to disapear. The only RT's that ive seen recently are the 2 channel models which are combo's so this was a great find!
BTW roszatycki is a stand up dude the amp was shipped quickly and the packing was impeccable, everything arrived working and in mint condition.. Now ive gotta get back to this amp and crank her!
-Matt Page-

Kinda fell out of love with the rt503 but that was only for 1 day, it wasnt tight enough and the OD2 channel was not sounding very good. And the next day i saw a boss BD-2 Blues Driver for $20 bucks on CL and the dude was about an hour away from me but he just happened to be doing the sound for a band that was playing at my local bar. So anyways I hook up the pedal along with my other pedals and immediately set it for a clean boost, and the RT became a totally different animal it really responded very well to the BD-2. The clean channel as a little light-gain thing going, OD1 sounded alot better than it did preboost (and that was my favorite channel before the OD-2) just totally more life in the sound. And then there was OD2 which has been fighting a winning war against me since i got the amp, but with the gain turned down on the amp and the boost kicked on its now a totally different high gain tone.. the pedal somehow sucked that scoop that i couldn't dial out of the channel. And with a little bit of EQing it now is a top notch 3rd channel and lives up to the OD2 name rather than the mud runs:)
-Matt Page-

Sounds like my experience with my rt 503h. I got this as my first tube amp. Only thing that sucks is that its reverb doesn't work. Is the reverb any good?