G3 Bass frequency problems... please help!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendistance

Reaction score
hi, i have just recently bought a G3 RH300 and its quite possibly the best amp i've ever owned. but when i crank it up past 5 i get a hell of a lot of rattling and vibration and fuzz from the cab, even when the bass, mid, and treble are rolled back to zero. i took it back to the shop and tried it through 5 different cabs including a mesa boogie and even the randall cab that was designed for this head and it still happened. even the 150 watt equivalent did the same thing. i really dont want to give up this head but i cant use it live or for rehearsals with the noise i'm getting.
any help or ideas would be massively appreciated thanks!

From your description, it sounds like you may not have the impeedance of the amp matched with the impeedance of the amp. Check what the output impeedance is on the amp, then check the impeedance of your cabinet with a multimeter. It should read a little less than the rated impeedance.

thanks for the help, i forgot to say that the bassy rattling sound only happens when i palm mute or play any kind of low chord ( i play in drop d). i dont have a multimeter (or even know what one is actually!) but the head's rated at 4 ohms and ive been putting it through 4, 8 and 16 ohm cabs with a single lead and even two when possible. and it still happens. thanks anyway though mate.

Dude, my RH300 has the SAME problem!!! My dealer even had Randall send me a brand new one and its still the same! :x

I'm pretty sure that they didn't get get this "Valve Dynamic" thing right on some of these heads. I'm pretty sure its not just the heads because for one... if it was, why the hell would they even make them and two, I've talked to people online that are totally satisfied.

I don't know what the next step for me to take is. I'm going to take it into the repair shop pretty soon, I guess. :(

Add another one!

I own a RH150 and I have the exact same freq. problems! It isn't even playable when I palm mute!
I play on a 7-string, but I have the same problem with 6-string in normal tuning.
I love the sound of the amp, but it's worthless at the moment :(
Even on low volumes the bass freq. is crazy.

I tried a Koch 4x12 (4 ohm) and a Marshall 4x12 (8 Ohm).
No difference.

The weird thing is that when I tried it before I bought it, there was no problem like that at all! If I remember right I played through a London City cab.
Tonight I'm going to try a Randall cab and a cheap *** Behringer cab.

I just called a Randall supplier and they told me that I should try other cables from the head to the cab. It's hard to believe, but it's worth the try.

They also adviced me that if that wouldn't work that I should try a new pre-tube.

I hope this solves the problem... Im going to test it this evening and I will keep it updated in this topic.

Well, yesterday I tried another cable from the top to the cabinet and guess what!

The ultra low freq was gone! It's still has lots of bass, but it really sounded nice. But I had to play with the contour to get the sound I wanted. If I get it under 5 it still has too much bass.

However, my advice, replace the **** cable!

Umm...

Exactly how does the speaker cable attenuate those low frequencies? In theory, a higher quality (lower gauge) cable would eliminate signal loss, so we're supposed to use cheaper (thinner) cables? Wouldn't that make the whole thing sound worse? I don't get it. :?