any RG100ES mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydevil

Reaction score
I just bought an older used RG100ES head. Does anyone have any good mods to do to it?

Thanks-
Jersey Devil :twisted:

If you cut the plugs of the cables to the reverb tank and solder the wires to the jacks it makes the reverb less noisy. Also, you can change the diodes in the boost section. You can also mess around with the biasing of the JFET transistors. Probably the best mod, is to install a daughter board with relays so that when you change channels the other channel is completely bypassed. Otherwise the two channels might have a tendency to bleed into each other. I'm not experienced enough to pull this last one off so I'm not sure exactly how it goes, but any good tech should be able to figure it out.

what diodes do you recomend puting in the boost section? and does anybody have the modified schem for the fix for the voltage drop when the treble knob is pulled? i thought it was on here but i cant find it anymore.

You can experiment with LEDs, Si, GE, Zener, etc.

One popular mod is to clone the Red channel so that you essentially have two Red channels instead of Red/Green

I had two of these starting out... oh the good ol' days :) A friend of mine changed out the caps on one and said it made it sound clearer. But then again this guy claimed to be best buds with Zakk...so. lol

The one that makes the most difference is to try different speakers and different cabs. You will get an average a 20% difference in tone just by changing speakers.
My favorite is 4 - 12 Marshall cab with 2 vintage 30 and 2 12t 75 mounted diagonal.
The more you try to add to the gain stage the more noise you are going to get. then you will need a gate or suppressor. Just take your head to the local music store and try plugging it in to different cabs or try some of your friends cabs, You will be surprised on the sound difference. also don't be afraid to try the crap stuff like Crate. The Blue Voodoo stuff has great speakers and you can get then cheap about 200. Have that Heavy 80's metal sound if thats what you are looking for.

Latest posts