Randall RG200ES question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingShip

Reaction score
I just got ahold of a sweet rg200es, like the century, its the heaviest amp i have ever heard. I also have a question about the speaker cab inputs.
it has 2 8 ohm outs but says above those that 4 ohms = 120 watts,
My question is , can I run a pair of 4 ohm cabs from this amp.
THANKS!

My RG80ES XP will run at 2 Ohms. I'm not sure about yours, but from your description I'm assuming not. Unless you have an impedance switch on the back panel to switch between 8/16 Ohm or 2/4 Ohm mode, I wouldn't recommend running your amp at 2 Ohms. If you do have an impedance switch, set it for 2/4 Ohm mode, and plug your 4 Ohm cabs in. If not, I would just run one 4 Ohm cab or get two 8 Ohm cabs. BTW I thought the RG200ES was rated 150 watts at 4 Ohms. How much louder is it than your RG80ES, and do they sound different? Which one sounds best?

you are right, it does say 150 watts in a white box on the back of the amp. I took my 8 ohm speakers and wired them in series to make a set of 16 ohm cabs, going from a 8 ohm out to a 16 ohm cab and from that cabs output to another cab, getting me a final ohm load of 6.7 ohms, which should be safe. 8)
Thanks for the advice.

I also have a rg80es w/ FS
A RGP1000 with the original FS
and just foud this rg200es (which seems to be just like the century 200) and I got the foot switch for it also.

The rg200 KILLS the rg80, there is no comparison, the rg80 has half the signal drop out when you pull the boost switch and is probly (at its heaviest settings) only sounds 1/3rd as heavy as the rg200. I love this 200 so much Im selling my rg80es and rgp1000. the rg200 does everything those other 2 do except chorus, which I can happily live without.
Im still running things to figure out exactly how I want them but , so far, the rg200 is THE amp Ive been looking for , for a LONG time... I just didnt know it until I heard it.
I got that huge brash chainsaw type of tone, right out of the box, now that im tweaking and playing with it, the rg200 does all KINDS of stuff, it has beautiful cleans. Im using a furman pq3 and cant decide weather I want it in the fx loop or in the front end of the amp. the PQ3 seems 10 times louder and more effective in the fx loop. I AM NOT going for Dimes sound, nothing wrong with it, but thats not what im doing. With that said, this randall will do pantera better than any amp ive owned (along with the ADA MP-1 w/ MQ1 in fx loop). Im more of a brutal rhythm player, I am not good enough to play pantera leads. If I was, id have the amp to do it.

Ill admit to being obsessed with old randalls.. :shock:
rg200.jpg