Problem with NBKing 112

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeGlobox

Reaction score
Hi !

I recently bought a Randall NBKing 112 and I believe it has issues...

The sound is seriously lacking presence (serious lack of high frequencies, like if there were some hidden presence pot that was turned to 0 ! )...

Looks like it doesn't come from the preamp, as I tried another preamp right in the FX loop's return input and had the same issue...

is my amp defective ? What should I check ? any hint ?

thanks a lot !

I also had an NBKING112 that had problems. It was my second Randall amp that had issues...the first was a brand new RM20 that just died one day.

My NBKING112 started making loud crackling-humming-static noises when I went from "standby" into the "on" position and also when turning the amp "off". It would also go from sounding "toneful" to sounding very "flat". All in the span of a few minutes.

Before taking it in, I took the back off, to see if a tube might be loose or mis-seated. When I looked inside, I saw that the transformer was bent to the side at about a 45 degree angle. It was pretty apparent that the amp had been dropped very hard sometime during shipping.

I took it back to my local dealer. As I said, they at first thought it was a bad pre-amp tube, so they turned it on, turned it up, and let it "cook" for awhile. They "thought" it was going to be "ok", after burning it in heavily for a couple of days, but they had some random customer play through it for awhile on the second day of "burn in" and it went wild making crazy noises again. After that, they called me and told me that they were sending my amp out for repair and that I was going to get another Brand New Randall amp.

After about a week and a half of patiently (well, actually, NOT so "patiently"...I called every other day...) waiting, I finally got the call that my new amp was ready for pick up. My dealer had been to NAMM, and brought me back a new NBKING112 that they used in the booth at NAMM, and while there, they had Nuno himself sign his autograph on the back nameplate!

I took it home, and plugged it in, and the sound from it was dramatically different from the previous, broken, NBKING112. There is far more bottom, and the tone controls now seem to actually DO something to the tone. (The first NBKING112 didn't seem to be affected that much by any tone setting). I usually play at (or below) "bedroom" volumes, so it wasn't that noticeable until I got the second amp....I also think that the channels themselves now sound more distinctive, and channel #2 seems more useful to me.

Anyway...I'm now on my THIRD Randall tube amplifier in about Four Months. I guess I am just waiting on pins and needles to see if this one "lasts".....

On the bright side, my local dealer in KC has been GREAT. So, my advice would be to first, contact the dealer from whom you purchased the amp and tell them your concerns/issues. I don't have a lot of confidence in Randall Amplifiers at this point (as far as reliability would go) but I would DEFINITELY keep buying my stuff from my local DEALER because they have stood by me 100%.