speakers in Lynch Box

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozdude

Reaction score
Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the eminence speakers used in the Lynch Box?

I've ordered two Lynch boxes and both so far have been faulty. The first one had a problem with the speakers distorting. Apparantly it was one of the 1st ones and had gone through a couple of speaker changes by the time I got it. I think it was a loose baffle inside. The 2nd one that I received has got one speaker that is barely operational. The rest all work fine, but one hardly works.

Weren't these cab's originally brought out with Vin 30's when they were first released??

I've A/B'd these speakers with Randall XLT, Hughes & Kettner with Greenbacks, Framus with Vin 30's, all the Marshall cab's, Soldano cab's and the Eminence speakers in the Lynch Box are probably the furthest sounding from George Lynch's tone.

I like how the Lynch boxes are slightly oversized, are made of decent wood, have one input and no fancy electronics, are back ported, look great, but put a set of decent speakers and a set of handles on and I might buy one.

Mine has no issues other than tolex letting go. The speakers work great and I am totally digging them now that they are broken in... tho they sounded good out of the box. I like it so much that I'm getting another.

The Lynch Box cab had Celestion Greenbacks in the first few... Lynch required some cabs for live shows and the Eminence Super V's were not available yet so the decision was made to use Greenbacks... those amps were also pre Skull emblem cabs... they simply had Randall on them.
These cabs were not supposed to reach the public but some did. As far as I know the ppl that did recieve the Greenback Randall's have recieved exchange.

There has been some talk over at the Randall MTS forum of bad LB cabs but it seems that Randall has been quickly and acuratly fixing the problems that exist... not in your case it seems though.

I am a fan of greenbacks and have used them more than any other speaker for over 20 years... the super v's are excellent speakers if you like a vintage british sound.

When I first got my LB cab I thought there was a problem... NO HANDLES WTF!!! Aparently George Lynch came up with that design detail as he was going for a "box" look... ofcoarse there are handles just not very friendly ones... Randall should have profiled the upper hole edge to make it less obtrusive... looks wise it does look very cool.

Khing

I also had two lynch boxes that were faulty, see my other threads here somewhere on the board. I personally hated those eminence speakers so much i have swapped them out for greenbacks and am mucn much happier. I still think the ones i had were faulty as i just could not imagine george ever using a speaker that sounded that bad.

My first Lynch box was one of the ones without the "Lynch Box" logo and it had the speakers changed. If it had the original speakers in it I would have probably kept it.

The Eminence speakers in the LB sound very close to the ones in the Soldano boxes. I remember the early soldano boxes had vin 30's and Michael Soldano had Eminence design a speaker that had smoother upper mids than the Vin 30, so Soldano started using these. I always thought the older ones sounded much sweeter and had a lot more clarity.

After comparing the Lynch Box to a lot of other cabs I thought the greenbacks had the sweetest mids and the Vin 30's had the best low mids and bottoms. I thought the lows on the Lynch box were sloppy and the top end was rounded and lacked clarity, but hey that's just my opinion.

As far as support goes they have been great as far as getting the cabs fixed, but im gonna buy another cab instead. Gonna grab an RS412XLT I think..

I also have a greenback loaded Marshall 4x12 slant... very nice cab and I usually judge most cabs off of that because it is one of my fav cabs.

The LB cab I have is not too far from that sound... since the speakers broke in it is much smoother in the upper mids and top... i find bottom end clarity to be of the best I've heard... reminds me of Bogner that way.

The Marshall I have with the greenbacks is not a very 'bottom end" sounding cab... greenbacks do not carry much bottom end in their voice more of a bottom mid than anything. To my ears the Super V's come very close to Greenback mids and top but have a larger bottom which is tight and focused. The point of breakup is much higher than a greenback so you get extra headroom but when they breakup it's sweet upper mids similar to a greenback.

Khing

Did either of you guys find the top end to be extremely fizzy, mine sounded like it had a huge jar of bee's buzzing around in it. I really wanted the cab to sound awesome but alas it was not to be. I still think there was a problem with the ones i got but the techs said they were 'physically' ok.

Don't forget the porting and wood factor.. i work in a guitar store so I probably spend way too much time plugging in various combinations of cabs..

For example A/B a Marshall 1960AX cab and a Hughes & Kettner CC412 cab. Both cabs have Greenbacks, but both sound totally different. The Marshall cab sounds thin in comparison to the H&K cab.

I have a 212 H&K greenback cab and comparing it to one of the framus 212's with Vin 30's, the H&K has a much thicker sound with more meat down low and then I compared it to a Randall 212XL cab with vin 30's the Randall had more thickness than the H&K..

So in short cab design is just as important as the speakers that are put in it.

Yep i realise this, the lynch box sounds big and fat with the greenbacks in, sounded buzzy and just plain weird especially in the top end with the eminence super v's, just wondered if your super v's were buzzy too.

Nah, i didn't get a top end buzz thing. Had a pretty rounded top end which i thought wasn't very clear sounding..

maybe yours were wired out of phase or something???

Greenbacks in the Lynch Box. That would have been killer. Wish mine arrived that way, would've kept it.

yeah well that's how mine arrived originally and it sounded amazing, having never heard the super v's i felt like i was missing out so i had the cab returned, then i got the cab with super v's and it sounded awful (buzzy), i knew something was wrong so had the wiring etc checked out but it all passed testing just sounded god awful.
So i had the super v's replaced with greenbacks and am happy. But knowing that you guys don't have a problem with a buzzing sound from your lynch box's (with eminence) i would really like to try another.

I've got no "buzz" coming from mine at all Bro... very clean, clear, smooth and round top with no harsh freqs at all... I'm blown away by the Super V's.

I did find at first that responce and dynamics were not what I had hoped but then I cranked the head for a few practice sessions (a total of about 24 hrs play time ) and I noticed things warmed up tonally and became a little more responsive. I recorded before and after with same settings and fresh strings and the results were very noticable even to another set of ears. OIn general I find most all speakers need a break in period before they reach max potential.

I have the tweed module and it sounds great thru the LB head and cab.

Khing

Latest posts