Chasing Tone and the Problem with GAS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctgblue

Reaction score
Hmmm? this amp just isn?t giving me the tone I want, time to get another.
Wow this one?s great.
Hmmm? I thought it was great 6 months ago but now it doesn?t sound so good.
Time for another amp..
Alright, I?ve got a keeper.
I thought it was a keeper.
Time for another amp..
Maybe the MTS is the way to go.
Cool amp, can?t wait for the modules..
Wow, this module is cool, but not QUITE the sound I wanted, let me try another.
Maybe I just need a modded one, yea, that ought to do it.
Maybe?.
Chasing the tone I want.
Is it missing from the amp, OR is it missing from the fingers..
Gotta be the amp..
Maybe I should practice more often. I'll do that.
Hmmm.. the amp really sounds better, maybe it?s this new guitar.
Haven?t played in a while, been busy, amp doesn?t sound so good any more, this new guitar is just not doing it.
I should get a new one, or maybe start practicing more often again.
Hmmm.. what if I had spent most of the money I?ve lost swapping amps and guitars and used them for lessons.
Maybe if I revisited my basics I might get better and be happier playing.
OOOOOOOOh, that new module might do it though?.
:?: :?:

Get an Axe FX ;) Then all you spend is time tweaking the software rather than money (after the large initial investment). That said, MTS is a close second as far as GAS savings, seeing as how modules only cost you ~$200-$400 per, rather than $2000-$4000

you are in the right place man, MTS system is designed to be GAS friendly. Once you are setup 200-300 gets you a new amp in 2 weeks time.

People would quit smokin' cigarettes, if they cost $75 a pack... but nooooo... :roll: The industry is a bunch of enablers... :lol: :lol:

MTS is kind of like dating. You try out a few models and give em' a good go and find what you like. You may break up with one for a while but realize that you miss the relationship too much. So you hook up again... Eventually you fall in love with one or more and you settle down...Or you keep adding RM4s and create a vast harem. You decide.
:twisted:

Daryl said:
MTS is kind of like dating. You try out a few models and give em' a good go and find what you like. You may break up with one for a while but realize that you miss the relationship too much. So you hook up again... Eventually you fall in love with one or more and you settle down...Or you keep adding RM4s and create a vast harem. You decide.
So true Daryl. Another sister/wives story. Hahaha

Got it big time. Every time I think I have "the tone" my mind changes.

Closest I've ever come is with the combination offered by the Carr Slant 6V. I'll own one again some day.

Realize this too: every time your line voltage changes your tone will change. Some days it is higher than others. Changed your strings lately? Was it a different lot number? Humidity different? Ambient temperature change? All that affects tone. And of course there's technique. And did you know your hearing changes every day depending upon your diet? And did you know your hearing changes every day depending upon how much you abused it the day before? That also affects your perceived tone.

Now imagine if you didn't play guitar and played an instrument like say piano where a grand piano costs like $40,000 (for a medium sized) and up to over $100,000 for a concert sized. I know a couple locally that has 10 grand pianos in their home, and some are concert sized. :facepalm: Must be nice. Of course most of them are like 50 yrs old. Then they did get GAS for antique clocks, all of which work, and all 100 of them go off on the hour.

Julia,
regarding voltage...you can (I have!!) buy units that will maintain constant clean voltage for your amp. They cost a few hundred dollars but are worth it,imho for peace of mind. That and humidity control and you can create a pretty stable environment....
so you can carry on your GAS....

GtrGeorge

Daryl said:

Obviously I'm a harem guy...But the RoD is all about polygamy so I'm cool there...I'm trying to sway them but I've heard chatter that it plans to endorse Mitt Romney any day now...Although I had a heart to heart with my Mamba SE and we plan to push Ron Paul together with a strong hand...Downsize big gov't, support big racks! :D

It's the worst when you finally are happy with your tone, then see an amazing band and get a look at their gear and it was something you owned before and dismissed.

I think gear is best judged in the context of a band and application.

ShockMaster has hot it on the head.
It's true wisdom...we should all listen to it,imho.
GtrGeorge
(and yes, I have sat at the SSL board and had a chance to mix Steely Dan tracks.)

I always find that it's just the familiarity with a sound that causes it to get boring. Very often I'll find something I recorded years ago and love the sound because I haven't heard it for a while.

Then I realise that amp is long gone and wish I had it again.

My problem is I like certain aspects of various amps and modules and wish I could combine them to create the perfect tone. I'd like to take the pristine clean of the JP-2C, spice it up with some Vox AC30 character, get that Soldano harmonic content and sustain mixed with the Mesa Mark tightness. I haven't yet found the perfect combination. Probably never will but I'll keep trying!