1987 Vs. GTO

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't recall a drop in volume switching from 1 to 2. If there was it was very slight. It is too late to play again tonight, but maybe tomorrow or Friday I can play again & see what I find. Gives me an excuse to tweak mode 2 more. :lol:

If you have time, that would be great... i def notice a difference. Then if you can, can you also post a gut shot of your Judge? It isn't breaking any rules, the judge is a stock module!

Was looking back at this thread...Just traded my Judge for the 1987, cant wait to get it. I think these are pretty similar- both by Friedman which is good. I will post a comparison once I get the 1987. BTW, I love the GTO and will get another down the road...just changing it up, trying something new, which is why I love the MTS line!

This is one i was also very interested in.. we seem to have some similar interests in the Marshally stuff. Keep us posted!

I've found slightly reducing the 800hz to 1Khz range with an outboard
EQ works wonders with both my Judge & Scary

They still are great lead toned modules but the crunch factor is
greatly increased !!

It adds to the spot-on "lynch-ness" of these modules big time
IMO 8)

Well, got the 1987 and it's KILLER- Definitely has the "Friedman" feel to it. Marshall tone all the way but different than the Judge. I would say it's more of a JCM800 (with more gain than a stock JCM800) and the Judge is obviously a modded Plexi tone but they both have the Friedman/Marshall flavor to them. The Judge is smoother and more compressed, the 1987 is more open and raw with a fatter bottom end. If you're into the old Anthrax thrashy tones, this will nail it. Plenty of high end available to my ears and pronounced high mids, just like a Marshall. I stuck a TAD 7025 (my new favorite preamp tube for "some" modules, not all) in V1 and it got even bigger balls! One other difference, also noted by Steven Latch in previous posts, the 1987 can do mid gain much better than the Judge. It doesnt thin out like the Judge does when gain goes noon or lower so it will do a really convincing AC/DC type tone. Love both modules- plan on getting another Judge at some point. I love what Friedman has done with these two mods...

Glad you like it too!

I think it's a shame that such a module came out so late in the process. For me this had to be the best stock module I have ever owned.

Steven Latch said:
Glad you like it too!

I think it's a shame that such a module came out so late in the process. For me this had to be the best stock module I have ever owned.

Yep, it is a shame. Seems like all the trial and error got these last round of stock mods to a different level. 1987 is awesome and fits a lot of what I do for Marshall mid gain tones...

I have the 1987 & the GTO on the way (as well as a few others :) ) so I'll have to see if I have a similar take on them as you guys.

Latest posts