Was at Steve Morse clinic...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
Watching Steve Morse play 10 feet in front of you will make you speechless. The tones he gets out of his fingers and his guitar are simply amazing. He was super down to earth to talk to too!

He doesn't use much in the line of effects either. He has two delay pedals...one for short and the other for long delays...run through his second head. They are always switched on and are controlled with volume pedals.

He is an amazing player, but I got tired of his speed shredding when I watched Deep Purple. I was wishing for some slower, more bluesy feel, which he surely could do, but he decided to wank the whole night. Still, a great player indeed.

Funny you mention that because he said that the slow blues just isn't him. He likes to play more lively, energetic music...I guess it matches his personality. He said his favorite music to play is blue grass.

I don't know if you listen to much his solo efforts but he certainly isn't just wanking away.

I have always admired his technique an good attitude. I saw him with Kansas one time and he really put some energy into that band on that night.
And to boot, he is friends with Trevor Rabin, who I admired greatly,as well. I read somewhere Steve almost gave up music altogether, but good friends around him convinced him he's just to gifted to give it up.
..really seems that way, doesnt it?

GtrGeorge

I didn't get the impression that he would give up music at all. He did talk about wrist pain and how he has to battle that everyday but he said he still practices at least 2 hours a day and will somehow always find a way to play even if he has to change his technique. He also said that he considers himself a song writer and the guitar is just his outlet for those creative juices.

I went to a clinic and then the concert later that night something like 20 years ago. Absolutely brilliant.

He actually did give up music for a while there. Not playing, but being a professional musician. He became a commercial pilot. This was some time between the Dregs and Purple. I have an interview in a Guitar Player magazine from around '90 where he talked about it. IIRC he said that during his long highway drive to work, he would prop the steering wheel with his knee so that he could play guitar while he drove. :D