RG50TC in need of resuscitation

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardyBloke

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After much research and forum lurking here (thanks for all the informative posts) I took the plunge and bought a used RG50TC from ebay (other internet auction sites are available)

It worked fine for a couple of weeks then suddenly stopped working while I was playing.There was no noise or smell or anything else unusual when it stopped working.

There are now no lights on the front panel or the power switch and both the mains plug fuse and the fuse accessed from the rear panel are intact (I checked the fast blow fuse with a multimeter and used a different kettle lead for the mains cord).

I thought I'd check the mains on/off switch to ensure it was working ok. I cleverly labled the spade connctors with pen so that I'd put them back the right way but unfortunately they slipped back into the body of the amp and the pen rubbed off while I was pulling them back out so I have no idea which one goes where!

The other slight boo boo I committed was that I'm noramlly very safety conscious when working with electrical equipment and so I checked to make sure the amp was unplugged before I started fiddling. Unfortunately I had forgotten that I switched kettle leads and the amp was indeed plugged in and some of spade connectors must have touched as the RCD tripped in the house!

At least I know power must have been getting to the part of the circuit - hopefully I haven't done any more damage. Will probably have to take it to a tech now, if only to fit the on/off switch back in!!

I'd had no problem with the amp before it stopped ? I was loving the gain 1 channel although the clean/boost channels were a bit heavy on the bass.

Thought I'd share my experience for entertainment and to warn against the dangers of labling your amp's power lead and then changing to another one!

If by any chance anyone has had similar issues with the amp stopping working like mine and got it working again then please share the secret!!

Thanks for reading,

Phil.

The amp I traded in for my Randall did this twice.

The initial problem was simply carbon buildup on the circuit board, which caused something to short out. The first time it happened, I tinkered with it for about a week and just ended up doing more damage than good. Ended up having to replace the cheap connector I fried.

The second time it happened, I got desperate and scrubbed all the solder connections with a toothbrush (the board DID look pretty dirty). Turned it on, and everything worked fine.

I'm not at all sure about what's wrong with yours, this is just a guess.

Were the tubes still lighting up right after this happened? I know you said nothing's lighting up now, but I'm wondering if anything might have gotten damaged between the time it stopped working and now.