1987 landed today. Edit: Clip added on page 2.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I have only had 5 minutes at very low volumes to tinker with it so far. Tonight I will let it roar! More on those findings later. Maybe even a comparison video. Depends on how many I end up tossing back before hand.

I loaded up the RM100 (EL34's) with a stock SL+, JF Brahma, and the 1987. SL+ has more gain and is brighter. I had the JF Brahma's boost engaged so it had more gain as well. Without the boost, it would probably be close. I will try that later.

The 1987 sits in a different sonic space than the other two. I will see if I can get that picked up in the vid I shoot tonight. I can't really describe it at the moment.

Overall, it sounds pretty good. It's a great mid gainer with out a boost hammering the front end and sounds like a great gainy Marshall based tone with the boost.

Mine is labeled GTO and then marked out with a red Sharpie and Scott 1987 added. I will take gut shots of the SL+ and 1987 together for those who want to see what differences are in there.

2012-02-17_15-00-43_555.jpg

SL+
2012-02-17_15-00-31_73.jpg

2012-02-17_15-00-21_558.jpg

Great post! and thanks for the pics.. I'm always that annoying guy who asks for pics so you've gone beyond the call of duty. Interesting to hear that the SL+ had more high end. I thought the stock SL+ needed a tad more for my likings... however, on looking at your side by side, check out where the mode switch is on the judge. Notice where the cap is on the SL+ C14.. I need to look at the traces on the bottom of the board or the actual schematic for the PCB and see if that affects the treble cap because that would prob add some more brightness to that 1987'. ..or not, I am only guessing at this point! Would you say the Judge has the edge where brightness is concerned?

Thanks for the pics.. it is always very useful to see.
I'm waiting also for clips.
May i ask what are the values at C7 and C13?
And if it is not too much trouble, pots values also?
I'm on the learning process... :D
thank you again

I will do some comparison clips later after my headache from last night goes away.

It sounded really good turned up. Lower gain than the SL+ but clearer because of it. Sounded pretty close to the JF Brahma with the boost off.

The 1987 takes a clean boost well. My modded modules seem to work better with a MXR Classic OD because it cuts a bit off low end. The 1987 likes the CC Trans OD.

eero said:
thank you again

C7 and C13 are both 0.68uf. Whatever that means.

Pots are 1M for the gain and bass, treble is 250k, and the level is 500k. I can't see the mid pot very well but it looks like 25k but that can't be right.

eyeball987 said:
eero said:
thank you again

C7 and C13 are both 0.68uf. Whatever that means.

Pots are 1M for the gain and bass, treble is 250k, and the level is 500k. I can't see the mid pot very well but it looks like 25k but that can't be right.

Thank you Sir!
very kind... looking forward to hearing your clips too
80' metal would be cool 8)

After much modules testing, I found that my best boosted JCM800 tones came from the 1987 with a clean boost, and the egnater SL++

The 1987 sounds the most natural, with the SL++ sounding more processed but in a good way. It probably has to do with the tone pot values that seem to sccop the mids a bit. The 1987 is much more versatile, with some great mid gain tones too.

Firing up either of those modules is always a cool reminder that the modular concept really delivers the goods!

Steven Latch said:
After much modules testing, I found that my best boosted JCM800 tones came from the 1987 with a clean boost, and the egnater SL++

The 1987 sounds the most natural, with the SL++ sounding more processed but in a good way. It probably has to do with the tone pot values that seem to sccop the mids a bit. The 1987 is much more versatile, with some great mid gain tones too.

Firing up either of those modules is always a cool reminder that the modular concept really delivers the goods!

Steven, i answered you in this thread, check it out:
http://www.mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=14588
let me know if this is the solution for you :D

Sorry. I recorded a couple clips last Saturday night and was a bit more lit up than I thought.

I was hoping to download some free video editing software to cut out all of the non-sense and to shorten them up but got tied up with work and have not investigated that yet. I will see if I can get them uploaded to Youtube as they are today and post.

The next clips will be with the camera mic on the cab instead of in the room. I don't feel like the room shot captured the dynamics very well.

Here you go. My right hand was being lazy due to the Saturday night festivities. I will do another vid when I am in better condition.

The clips sounds muffled to me. I found the 1987 to sound much clearer in the room.

I start with no boost and then click the boost on and off. You can see when that happens.

Settings:
G - 2:30
B - 1:30
M - 3:00
T - 11:30
L - 11:00

Amp:
P - 11:30
D - noon
M - 10:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3tQKMBvrg8&list=UUkxCxO7lqe_Ze0z5D9MTT-w&index=1&feature=plcp

Hey Eero,

Yes, I did see your advice and I thought I had answered and realized I didn't!

I haven't tried modding the SL++ myself as soldering a guitar pickup is as far as my skills have taken me so far. The truth is that depending on my modd of the day, I find the SL++ too scooped... or to my taste so I am still unsure I should mod it. Plus, I have an EQ in the loop for a mid bost. It is midi switchable so it is a good option so far.

Can't check the video right now Eyeball but I will tomorrow!