• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS : plex , sl2 , E' rect , tweed , ultra LX

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okstrat said:
So I filed a complaint with paypal and escalated it... what now? I just want my $ back.

I did the same.

I think they wait 3 days until a response from the party complained against and then there's up to 30 days whilst they investigate.

The Tim Anderson dude hasn't got a verified PayPal account...so probably doesn't have a bank account linked to it...presumably the money is already gone from the account in the form of a PayPal check to him....so I think PayPal cannot recover the money.

A Non-Verified Memeber doesn't meet their basic community security standards so I'll be very suprised if I see a penny of my money back :-/

hmmm no offense to Smickers, but this sounds kinda fishy to me.

First step outside of paypal is to get the IP these posts originated from (Should be logged) and then check the ISP if it traces back to said "Cyber Cafe". Cause if it doesn't, you've all been had and this guy's lying.

Smickers, what's the actual name of this Cyber Cafe?

Ned, can you please provide the IP address of the first post of this thread?

I lost $325 for an ERECT module to this guy. I just put a claim in with Paypal, has anyone else been reimbursed?

I received a response back from the guy shortly after I made payment and he said he'd be sending along shipment info after he shipped the module.

Here's my conversation with the guy:

Hi Tim,

Are these dual or single channel modules? I'm interested in the E'rect if it's a dual channel and will pay $325 for it.

Justin

---------------------------------------------
that seems fair , i'll pay shipping then i need your info for shipping it
though , its the dual , i dont have pics but you know what it looks like im
sure , its in mint cond. ether way if your still interested send me you
info so i can bill you for it via paypal.

tim

-------------

I will make payment tomorrow morning via paypal.

Also, I'm interested in your SL2 but I need to sell off my SL and SL+ first. That hopefully won't take long and I'll try getting back to you when I do.

Thanks again!

Justin

-----------------------------

ya no problem man , ya the other one has a offer on it alreaddy but it may
fall through i'll keep u posted

tim
--------------------------------

After payment went through:

Hi Tim,

Was there no tracking number available for the shipment?

Justin

-------------------------
i havent sent it yet ... i will look into when i do ship it though .

tim
-----------------------

And that's the point where I started to get worried and came back to this thread. Smickers, we will need your full co-operation to recover our funds. Can you PM me your contact information? I will need to assist Paypal in recovering this person's identity and reporting him to the proper authorities. I am a systems engineer for a high profile US Government agency and believe me when I tell you that I can get to the bottom of this with very little effort.

WOW,I feel for you guys,this just gets more and more F*^&ED by the minute,I hope this **** all gets worked out or somebody gets worked........................

Honestly, a scammer would not have replied to my email about the shipping. It really seems to me like someone got themself in over their head and is now looking for an "out".

TheAbomb12 said:
I don't know. Why did he request responses go to [email protected] rather than the email in his profile ([email protected])? Provided that Smickers is the Scammer, That would mean he knew before hand that he was never going to send anything.

If this was a pre-meditated scam by Smickers then it would be smart to use a seperate email address and PayPal account yes?

TheAbomb12 said:
I don't know. Why did he request responses go to [email protected] rather than the email in his profile ([email protected])? Provided that Smickers is the Scammer, That would mean he knew before hand that he was never going to send anything.

Or he could have been selling these for a friend? Or possibly his original email address is invalid? Or he intended to scam all along? Or he's done this before and Paypal has revoked his original account? Or multiple people actually share the Smickers account...such as a band?

I'm still under the impression that the original intentions were not harmful.

what I was trying to say was that, why would he give you a different email than he normally uses, and then all of a sudden get into hot water and try to back out of it by making a scamming story up. Either someone DID steal his info- or this was a well planned con by smickers himself.

TheAbomb12 said:
what I was trying to say was that, why would he give you a different email than he normally uses, and then all of a sudden get into hot water and try to back out of it by making a scamming story up. Either someone DID steal his info- or this was a well planned con by smickers himself.

That pretty much sums it up..but read the thread man...it's one lame excuse, story edit after another and Smickers can't or won't reply to PMs either.

TheAbomb12 said:

I listed quite a few reasons for a different email address, re read my post. I'm not saying he didn't plan this - I'm saying there are other avenues to explore.

MitchSchaft said:
Iconoclysm said:
Here's my conversation with the guy:

... and believe me when I tell you that I can get to the bottom of this with very little effort.

don't lie to the guy :lol:

I'm not lying - but this guy deserves to be lied to anyway. Just waiting on Paypal to get back to me...I'm guessing he's smart enough to make sure the funds are back in that account when Paypal tries to recover them.

It's to bad you guys had to go threw this in the first place!
One of the cool concept of this MTS board was the trust, buying and swapping with one another! :D
It's not going to be that easy for people to forget this happened!
Hopefully you guys will get your money back!

Yes, it's total bullshit that this happened - and I only let it happen because I've had so many good transactions here.

It's definitely a downer and will cause me to be more cautious but it's not going to hinder me from buying, selling, and trading here. Especially because I believe I'll be getting my money back.

Don't let one fraudulent transaction spoil the classified section for the "good guys" .
It seems no matter what the venue, there's always some low life, slithering, con artist out there :x to take advantage of the honest person.

We just have to be suspicious now of anyone "new" , or with few references. Take no checks or money orders, ship only to confirmed Paypal addresses, buy COD ( not California Over Drive) only, or deal with just the guys on the "Good Guys" list. I know, it reduces the market, but it also reduces the chance for this to happen again.

Howard

I had a guy scam me out of an Egnater TOL100 from Canada on Harmony-Central. Its probably the same guy because he too was knowledgeable. Let me look up my account.

Paypal didn't so **** for me, so sorry guys, but you are more than likely SOL. They can only really get money back from stupid people or non-scammers who won't issue a refund.

seeker said:
Don't let one fraudulent transaction spoil the classified section for the "good guys" .
It seems no matter what the venue, there's always some low life, slithering, con artist out there :x to take advantage of the honest person.

We just have to be suspicious now of anyone "new" , or with few references. Take no checks or money orders, ship only to confirmed Paypal addresses, buy COD ( not California Over Drive) only, or deal with just the guys on the "Good Guys" list. I know, it reduces the market, but it also reduces the chance for this to happen again.

Howard

I'm not on the good guys list myself so I don't see that happening.