Egnater COD Blues clip No. 1

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Czajkowski

Reaction score
low-crawling under the wire at Fort Mastercard
Egnater COD Blues clip No. 1

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5290376&q=hi

Here?s a nice traditional blues over a Ted Green type progression. The lead guitar is my Ernie Ball Steve Morse model into the Egnater Mod 50 COD preamp with everything pretty much at 12:00. The bright and bass boosts are on the lower of the two settings. There is a boatload of gain to go, and I?m not really digging into the pickups too hard either, just trying to get that even Robben Ford sort of fusion tone without pedals. The melodic line in first 12 bars has both humbuckers, but I switch it to just the bridge for the solo. For those unfamiliar with the Steve Morse model, it?s DiMarzio?s are really mellow with a full midrange. The rhythm guitar is a Gretsch 6120 into the Egnater Twin channel of the Twin/Deluxe preamp.

The 12 bar progression moves in and out of Cm to Am, Dm, Em and Bb minor. It does that classic falling m2 maneuver in the middle 4 bars that makes it easy to get lost if you aren?t familiar with them and easy to sound lame if you follow the chords verbatim. When I can get a bass on the backing track, I?ll post it for anyone who wants to jam on it.

That's amazing. I can't get my COD anywhere near that territory. It's back to the drawing board for me. Knobs at 12 o'clock and start over. You are playing quite nicely, but still, I have a decent feel for the Ford thing and just can not get any where near it. It is perplexing to me. At some points SRV also used a D*mble and I can get that sort of blues tone out of it but nothing like what you are getting.

Nice job John.

Hey Tommy,

Glad you like it. These modules really transmit the actual sound of your guitar, so that is probably one thing given that the EBMM Morse is a different sound. More wry. One thing I might add that is that I pick with a very heavy .88m Tortex pick and play it pretty lightly, so that makes it more midrangey still. I've got the Sm57s pointed at the paper side of the cone about 1 inch off the grills. I had to add a little presence back in the EQ to make the recording sound closer to the amp. It isn't really doing it justice though...it's too brown whereas the amp is more a deep sparkling gold, if you know what I mean. :roll:

Sounds great. Probably a module that wouldnt work for my playing, but its surely great tone nonetheless.

-Matt

I know a lot of us have been dying to hear the COD. Thanks for providing a first taste this clip. As usual your playing is beautiful.

Rick

Most cool... I don't think that's what I was expecting the COD to sound like, but I totally dig the tone. Totally dig the playing, too. :)

--B

John Czajkowski said:
My pleasure guys,

I need to make another C*D clip that shows its more aggressive end of the spectrum too. This clip is really tame now that I think about it. The C*D can really get nasty - in a classy kind of way. 8)

John,

I cant wait to hear this! I like nasty yet classy!

-Matt

Hey John,Are you alright man,those clips are sick,I should've bought my buddies Steve morse model EB when I had the chance,You got that C*D module singing!I cannot get that sound out of it (yet)I'll break out the strat I guess,your playing really sets the stage for that great!!!!!!Keep them coming!!!

John Czajkowski said:
The C*D can really get nasty - in a classy kind of way. 8)

Man, you totally need to post some "nasty & classy" clips... with the recent egnater.com update I read up on the COD and decided I had to get one based on the description: "This module is perfect for both Robben Fordabees and Dream Theaterrites" I'm definitely more of the latter... I played a Triaxis and Mark IV for years before I got into the Egnater stuff. So now I'm really curious to see what a "pushed" COD sounds like.

--B

I say we start a campaign right here and now to nominate John to record and submit sounds of modules for posting on the Egnater web page. They need good clips in many tones and styles and we all know John can do it (and do it really well!). Then we should swamp Bruce with encouragement too put them on the site.

Who's with me? I guess we should start with John ... are you with us John?!!!!!

Thanks, I'd love to help them, but it's clearly their decision. They already have the Indoor Storm videos that are very instructive. Also, there are many great Egnater players these days with the ability to make fine representative clips, so I could only imagine it will be a team effort between lots of people augmenting the existing stuff.