need gut shots of egnater modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Just want to see what component types he's using - if they are any different. If you had single channel egnater versions of the SL+, Recto, ultra or brown (if those are all even made?) I would REALLY like to see one of those, but even a gut shot of a 2 channel would be appreciated. I believe I saw one that had all carbon comp resistors, but I'm not sure.

So far I *DO* know that I prefer how orange drops perform over those brown xicon caps in the Randall modules.

I'm just trying to eke out a little more tone from my modules. Thanks in advance, I'll share anything I find here.

Pete

I know what you mean. I've been DYING to see an single channel SL2 (Randall SL+) forever! Bruce told me they were close, but I never got details.

The biggest difference I see in my Egnater SL Module is the Carbon Comp Resistors. They're used throughout. The caps are nicer, and the opamps appear different.

NuSkoolTone said:
I know what you mean. I've been DYING to see an single channel SL2 (Randall SL+) forever! Bruce told me they were close, but I never got details.

The biggest difference I see in my Egnater SL Module is the Carbon Comp Resistors. They're used throughout. The caps are nicer, and the opamps appear different.

Could I see a pic? I'd just like to see what the differences are - even on a dual channel, seeing what parts he uses would be interesting to me. I wish I could remember where I saw a gut shot of one, I do remember the carbon comps. Thanks!

Pete

I've seen some single Egnater module pics and you'll find relays, a much more sonically transparent option instead of the H11F1 Bilateral Analog FET Output Optocoupler like the one you'll find in the Randall modules.
Also, i think Egnater used H11F2 in it's IE4 preamp as well as in the TOL line of amps if i remember.

The use of relays combined with the use of carbon comp resistors and orange drop can definately render a 'better sound' compared to what's used in Randall's modules.

Claude

Precisions: Randall's module do not have OpAmps, those six pin black ic's are Bilateral Analog FET Output Optocouplers H11F1.

Picture008.jpg

Erect

Thanks man! Here's what I see so far:

1) actual relays on the Egnater module vs the switching ICs (I'm betting the Eggy stuff is more acoustically transparent)

2) carbon comp resistors

3) Some caps are blue, some are the same brown ones in the Randalls.

4) silver mica small caps (can't remember what the randalls have)

It's obviously a different board because the Eggy has the dual gain/masters.

Anybody have a single channel eggy board I can gander at?

Pete

What's that little switch next to R40 by the mid/highs tone control? Is that the bright switch?
Just curious and thanks!
Mike

muudrock said:
Here you go. Gut shot of Egnater SL++

BIG thanks man!

Here's the differences I see with the SL+:

-load(?) resistor r21, r27 instead of blank.
-diode and cap in place of r1, r3.(WISH I could see the traces underneath!, Looks like my Eggie SL is the same thing)
-R2, OP3 does not exist on Eggie
-opchips replaced as with all eggies.

-The cap arrangement next to the mid switch is different. Would like to see what's going on here.
It apears they are switching between caps and not resistors (Though there IS R1 that doesn't exist on the Randall.), so I'm curious how the mid shift is being performed?

I have an SL and (Assuming it's the same) it appears there is a 1uf cap at C21(doesn't exist on Randal, that big cap behind the other two caps next to the push switch) and C14/C15 BOTH are 470pf(?)
However one cap's not in C15, but an unmarked pad and one leg of R40.
However it makes me wonder if the "JCM800 tone stack mod" is incomplete.

I don't think you can go by the boards exactly, because there are some differences between this one and the standard Randall one, at least to my eye. The JCM800 mod changes the slope resistor and the treble cap. It makes quite a difference, I'll have clips you can hear in a day or two. Looks like his mid mod is changing the treble cap only, not the slope resistor from what I can see.

Pete

EDIT: I just checked schematics for a 1987 (Plexi) and a 2203 (JCM800) and the only differences in the tone stacks are reflected in the JCM800 mod - the only differences are the slope resistor and the treble cap.

okstrat said:
EDIT: I just checked schematics for a 1987 (Plexi) and a 2203 (JCM800) and the only differences in the tone stacks are reflected in the JCM800 mod - the only differences are the slope resistor and the treble cap.

Just the tone stack? There is no difference in the gain stage?

MetalMajik said:
okstrat said:

Just the tone stack? There is no difference in the gain stage?

As I read it, the JCM800 mod was only to change the tone stack. I didn't trace out the rest of the schematic. It makes a huge difference, trust me.

Pete