Recto - not what i expected

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube Head

Reaction score
I havent played a mesa dual rectifier before but when I thing of what this sound should sound like I think of the tones some great metal bands have.
I have been reading about a cap mod. will this make a big difference? Or should I check out the Ultra XL to find the best heavy metal distortion?

I've found the Recto (like the real Mesa) sounds like a$$ at practice volume, but sounds pretty good when turned up. It also sounds better with the gain below 12:00 (weird?). I imagine the mods would help it sound good at lower volumes.

Anyone confirm this assumption?

I too expected the Recto module to sound just like a Mesa, when in fact, it does not. It sounds very cool, though, just different than a Mesa preamp. If you want a Rectifier sound, get a Mesa Rectifier. If you want an amazing MTS high gain module buy the 1086 and possibly the Ultra XL. I never got to play the Ultra XL but I've heard good things... once I get more money together I might have to get back into the Randall gear again... I miss my RM4 ... :cry:

I was a Boogie junkie for many moons and I've owned and gigged with a Dual Rectifier halfstack, a Tremoverb halfstack and a Rectoverb combo and the Recto module sounds very different than "real" Rectos.

The module doesn't sound bad, I love mine (getting ready to do the cap mod to love it more :wink: ), it just sounds different, I'd best describe it as not having the slice or lowthump of the real Rectos, it sounds more like the Mark III and IV to my ear.

And that's after playing with every possible setting of both the module and the power amp controls.

I didn't like it, but then I didn't like my rectifier either. Both are too buzzy. The Ultra was my favorite, but the trick for me was to turn up the treble to two or three o clock and turn the mid to 11 or 12 o-clok and the bass to 8 or 9 o clock. That ultra module has a lot of gain and a lot of bass.

I owned and gigged dual rec half stack twice weekly for 2 years and I think the module sounds very similar to the real thing, it has that loose bottom end grind that the recto has but less of the fizz on the top end, and that's the only difference i have noticed. The mesa dual recto is the sound for the now old 'nu-metal' genre (limp bizkit etc etc) but not for current metal, i would use the 1080 module for getting sounds close to the newer metal.

I have the recto w/ cap mod, (.001u) and i think that the sound is a bit different with the cap mod, but it's not really that big of a difference to me. I think the module sounds awesome. And I agree that you can get a nu-metal(limp bizkit and ****) type of tone out of it. But also the newer type of metal (Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium etc) is also easy to get, for me anyways.

The XTC is awesome for the newer metal tone, though. That really sounds alike.

Can anybody tell me exactly what the difference is in the original "Recto" module as opposed to the newer "Rectified" module?

I believe the only difference is that the old recto module has the .0047 Capacitor (well mine has anyway) & the new 'Rectified' has the .0022 Cap (according to the circuit board diagrams posted on this site), So the newer 'rectified' would have a tighter bottom end than the older 'recto' module.