Egnater 212 cab

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
I've generally played 412 cabs in the past but am considering picking up a 212. I'd like a tighter sound with slightly less bass than my 412.

Can anyone here vouch for the Egnater Tourmaster 212 cab? How do the Celestion Elite 80 speakers compare to Vintage 30s?

Any input on this cab or these speakers would be greatly appreciated.

-Gary

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/egnater-tourmaster-212x-2x12-guitar-extension-cabinet/609805000476000

Hey Gary, I have a decent amount of experience with this cab. It's one of the rigs in the backline of our practice space.

It's actually an over sized cabinet and sounds pretty good in a band mix. Has no problem cutting through over the other guitarist's Line 6 cab with vintage 30s. If anything it sounds just as big as the Line 6 Bogner-valve stack or even thicker in the low mids while staying tight. It's pretty full and has enough midrange and does not have overbearing bass. Being a guitarist who plays bass in this band allows me time to tweak my guitarists' rigs and hear how they fill out the mix (setting up for me takes 10 seconds as I have no pedals to set up so I fiddle with the knobs and volume levels).

The Renegade / Tourmaster cab rig cuts so well that usually I scoop the mids slightly for the rhythm guitarist to balance with the lead guitarist's Line 6 set up. When he doesn't bring his JCM 800 I run my Amptweaker TightMetal pedal straight to the FX return of the Renegade and it sounds bad ***.

But if I had to compare the speakers to v30s I would say they do not have the spiky midrange that are usually associated with the v30s. They still have a bit of midrange spike but are smoother to my ears. Maybe the elite 80s are similar to Classic Lead 80s, but I'm just guessing. FWIW, the cab plays well when the guitarist brings his JCM 800.

Btw, what amp are you going to use with it?

Did a quick google search and yes here you go, the elite 80 is a rebadged slightly tweaked CL80 with a fuller low end.

Quoted from here http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=4993651 by Mr. Egnater himself!

The Egnater Elite 80 is a Classic Lead 80 that is private labeled for us. They did some sort of tweak to the low end that makes it ever so slightly fuller in a small cabinet. Honestly, I don't know if anyone could really tell the difference between the Egnater and the CL80 except maybe in a blind A/B test. I would consider them interchangeable. FYI, this speaker excels over other speakers in the smaller cabinets (open or closed back) for a much fuller/tighter low end, smoother high end and tons less cone break up (farting). How loud you play has a tremendous effect on how a speaker responds. A V30 can sound brighter, clearer at low volumes but does tend to get a little abrasive in the high end and definitely breaks up easier than the 80 at higher volume.

Egnater

Thanks for the info!

I am running the rig in my signature: RM4 into VHT power amp. Currently I'm using a Randall XL cab with Vintage 30s. I also just ordered a Marshall JMD head, but it has not arrived yet.

I have had an Egnater 4x12 with V30's, a Tourmaster 212 with elite 80's and a 212 Modular cab with Scumback Blackback's in it. So far the Elite 80's seemed to be the best fit for every Egnater Head I've owned (Mod 50, Renegade, Rebel). I don't get along with V30's

I'm a big fan of mine. The tone is super versatile, seems like the cab colors more than the speakers, and it has a removable panel on the back if you want an open backed cab. I like it closed, but the option is cool.

The inputs can be mono, stereo, or if you're using an RT/250 you can send EL34 to one speaker and 6l6 to the other (or whatever you use on each channel)

The oversized cab really sounds great imo.