PODxtLive vs Vox Tonelab SE

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sureshot12

Reaction score
I've been considering one of these two processors...I like the sound so far out of the Tonelab better, but I do like the setup and functionality of the POD. Does anyone have experience with these two processors? I want to use it for effects in front of an amp, and also direct for Sunday morning services when an amp isn't the most practical option. Ideas?

I've got a PODXTPro and when I used it with my RM50 there was serious tone suckage, haven't tried with my Mod50 yet.

3 Mile Stone uses the Tonelab SE and it sounds really, really good. I keep toying with the idea of getting the LE model and using it to replace my whole pedal board. Would also be backup and for gigs where I don't want to lug the Mod50 up 3 flights of stairs.

The delay's on the Tonelab sound incredible btw.

I'm also toying with the idea of using my Rockman Rock modules in the rig - to many options.

Thanks Ned, glad I "hooked" you on the Tone Lab SE. The delays are incredible.

Sureshot12,

I have not played with the Line 6 much, but Ned had his cranked up through a powered monitor the other day at Tonefest 2007 and it sounded really good. For direct stuff it might be better. I used my Vox Tonelab a couple of times live. I ran a Fulltone OCD through the loop to try and get the distortion to an even higher quality level. It worked very well into a Boogie 20/20 power amp and a 2X12. Never went direct with it, that's just not my style. I also tried it in a more classic pedal board setup. Guitar into Tone Lab into Randal RM 50 HB into 2X12. Very good sounds and versatility in that set up becasue the Vox has cool overdrive pedals like Klon, Boss OD, Tube Screamer, Treble Booster, Rat, Fuzz Face, Octavia, Univibe and really a ton of cool sounding pedals. As mentioned earlier the delays are very, very good. The only problem with that set up was when switching the RM50 into the high gain channel, it got a little to noisy for my comfort level. A noise gate is built in, but if I were going that route, I'd probably buy a better quality one (Decimator?) and run it somewhere in the signal chain where it didn't rob too much tone.

Lots of possibilities with both. The Tone Lab SE has a reputation of being able to achieve more classic amp tones in the medium gain range, something other modeling units fall short on. Low to medium crunchy sounds like Fender & Vox are very good. Line 6 seems to have the guys who like high gain tones in thier camp. I'm generalizing a little and of course you might find it to be different, but I agree with the general idea that those ideas are correct. I found some of the high gain tones on the Vox to be cool, such as the Soldano and the JCM 800. Recto sounds were not so bueno.

I appreciate the responses guys. I will say this in response to 3 Mile Stone - For the times that I would run it direct (i would much rather use an amp as well) I wouldn't need a modern high gain sound so I think I would be ok with the Tonelab.

Now, by direct, do you mean using it only in place of a preamp or direct as in straight to board? I'm referring to plugging it straight in to the sound system...I know it isn't the best idea but I'm also just talking about using it that way during a morning church service so as to still have electric with all the various sounds but at a no-ears-are-bleeding volume level.

Straight into the sound system.

My bass player using a Bass PODXT or sometimes a PODXT with the bass pack installed and it sounds really good.

There is a Houston band called Strippers Lie and they run everything through POD's direct to the PA and they sound really good. Singer uses a PODXT Live and the guitar player uses a PODXT Pro with a floor board.

We've got a bunch of gigs in downtown Austin coming up that require us to haul our gear up 3 flights of stairs (playing on the roof top). I will be taking only the PODXT and a powered wedge instead of the Eggie for those gigs.