The Nuts, current and past users...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downrightproductions

Reaction score
I have been contemplating sending my nuts, i mean The Nuts, over to Rob at Jaided Faith to have some work done on it. He said that he could do pretty much what ever my heart desired to it. Now, this is why i come to you guys. This Ian head and modules are my first MTS products and i have not played any other "high gain" modules so i have nothing to compare it to so i am at a mental roadblock in how to tell Rob to improve it. What would all of you change/add to this module?

I sold all my Ian stockers that came with my RM100SI....they were all nice in their own way, but couldn't hold a candle to Rob's stuff. I personally thought the nuts had an odd midrange thing going on that I didn't care for. it sounded good scooped...but it ended there for me.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Something Marshally? Or something a little different?

Probably the stock upgrade/Warm Clarity mod to start with. That should upgrade the tone significantly. From there you probably just need to see what you like/want out of the mod.
Ask yourself this:
1. What tones do my other mods give me?
2. What tone(s) do I want from this mod? You may have to put it in terms of I want... (insert famous artists tone from particular album here). From there Rob should be able to hook you up or at least get the discussion going.

And as JayDA said, Robs work kills the stockers. The SLOD100 blows the Scary out of the water for that Soldano tone. The RR59 puts the SL+ to shame (especially with the extra feature set)... you get the idea.

Hamner1 said:
Probably the stock upgrade/Warm Clarity mod to start with. That should upgrade the tone significantly. From there you probably just need to see what you like/want out of the mod.
Ask yourself this:
1. What tones do my other mods give me?
2. What tone(s) do I want from this mod? You may have to put it in terms of I want... (insert famous artists tone from particular album here). From there Rob should be able to hook you up or at least get the discussion going.

And as JayDA said, Robs work kills the stockers. The SLOD100 blows the Scary out of the water for that Soldano tone. The RR59 puts the SL+ to shame (especially with the extra feature set)... you get the idea.
Thanks!...that is helpfull....on a side note i see in your signature you have an Intellifex. How do you like it? Which one is is? Do you use the Hush system in it?

I do like the Intellifex, although I am looking to sell it to help fund a GSP1101 & Control 2 pedal. :shock:
I have the Intellifex Online Black faceplate version. As for the Hush I'm too stupid to program the digital Hush feature, so if a patch had it on then I left it. Any that I programmed I did not incorporate the Hush. :lol: I think it does a nice job for lowering the Noise threshold from the unit, not that there is much from it anyway. When I get a chance tomorrow I will look more closely into it and see if I can give a better response than this. It gives me an excuse to crank up the rack. :D

I'm waiting for my the nuts module, i ordered it here because i liked what i heard, did any of you did any diy mods to it ??

pouet88 said:
I'm waiting for my the nuts module, i ordered it here because i liked what i heard, did any of you did any diy mods to it ??
mine is still sitting in stock form...one day I love it, the next day I don't. Depends on what I'm playing...

fuzzboat said:
nuts = a friedman tweaked GTO

~~~ :roll: ~~~

So essentially the judge with an extra gain stage worked in? Hey fuzzboat, you've seen a lot of Friedman's work, how close was the GTO to the BE parts wise? Tonally a few forumites have said it was very very close to his BE mods in amps.

Kapo_Polenton said:
fuzzboat said:
nuts = a friedman tweaked GTO

~~~ :roll: ~~~

So essentially the judge with an extra gain stage worked in? Hey fuzzboat, you've seen a lot of Friedman's work, how close was the GTO to the BE parts wise? Tonally a few forumites have said it was very very close to his BE mods in amps.

I would say the Nuts is a 1987 with more gain....(yes the 1987 is close to the GTO but a little less gain and less smooth, more of a JCM tone) I actually preferred the 1987 and GTO over it myself. Still a pretty good stocker-

I would say the Nuts is a 1987 with more gain

I respectfully disagree...

The 1987 is my favourite marshall module. Just lacking a little in the gain department so I often use a clean boost. And side to side, 1987 with a plain clean boost and the Nuts sound nothing alike to my ears.

In actual facts I would have loved for the nuts to be a boosted 1987 but the module has a much harsher treble and less body. At least that's how my unit sounded. Maybe a simple tweak of the mids pot to give it more range in the upper mids would have done the trick