Diavlo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have wondered the same thing.Though released a couple of NAMM's ago,there has been little said about the Diavlo.Anyways,there are a couple of recent British based reviews of the Diavlo head that are quite favorable [do Google search for "Randall RD50H Diavlo reviews"] and speak of the amp giving up quality British like blues/classic rock/metal tones.Btw,I plan on buying a Diavlo head sometime soon.

Ed

I just bought the RD50H head and expect it later in the week.Found the best price at Beyond Eleven Music for $459.99.Strange how little is known about this amp,even though it's been out for a couple of years.

Ed

I thought so too. The only user info I could find on that head were the links you posted for me. I did contact Randall with a query and they responded with ;

"Clean Channel is much like the clean module.
The overdrive channel is very much like the Ultra.
The overall sound due to the cathode bias design of the power amp offers a "fatter" type of tone versus an MTS.
More like a boogie or an orange than a Marshall.

I'd really like to try this with my V30 loaded 1x12"closed-back old Peavey cab. 2 channels, reverb, boost for both channels, and fixed bias. Sounds pretty darn perfect for me. The only bad thing is I doubt there is much tweaking that can be done to it in terms of "mods".

Thanks for sharing the info.I'm looking forward to trying out different power tubes in the amp.Btw,I read on another forum a post by a guy that had a Fortin modded Randall RD50 in his signature.Interesting,indeed.

Ed

I've had my RD50 head a few weeks now and totally dig it.Yes,the overdrive is fat and smooth,with harmoically rich sustain.That is until the treble and presence are turned up.Then it screams and cuts like the devil [Diavlo pun intended].Btw,I'm mostly running my RD50 head through a Celestion G12K-100 loaded Lopo Large Slant 1-12 cab,which appears to be a great sounding combo.The build quality was a pleasant surprise in that the switches,jacks and pots all feel rather like those on my quality USA and UK built tube amps [Mesa/Boogie,Bedrock,Hayden,Laney].Also,the built-in fan does a great job of keeping the circuit and tubes cool.The 4-band EQ is very flexible and is great for dialing in alll kinds of blues,classic rock and metal tones.The clean channel was also a surprise,as it's quite warm,dynamic and rich sounding.The spring reverb is well voiced,if maybe a bit subtle.Lastly,the series effects loop works well with my Boss DD-20,TC Electronic Flashback and AMT Stutterfly delays.Great job,Randall!

Nice Edman. Have you tried the amp in a band mix at all? Curious to hear how it cuts through lol. I heard some say that the RT50 series got buried a little for example.

Not yet,though I do have a casual band jam coming up in the next two or three weeks.I'm guessing that it should cut well,as it has a fat British flavored mid range bark that nicely staddles the Marshall/Laney camp.As for the shared EQ,that has not been a problem,as I so far have very much liked the way the EQ settings worked for both the clean and gainier overdrive sounds.Currently,my Mesa/Boogie MKIIC+ sits in the closet as I enjoy discovering the many cool tones that I'm getting from my RD50.

Ed

that sounds really cool, surprised to hear your preference over the Mark IIC+! I had a chance to play one of those for a few minutes and it was pretty huge sounding.

Randall is so underrated these days... hopefully that changes when the Fortin heads are released.

I still love the MKIIC+,so it will get to come out of closet and play sometime soon.I'm just really digging the British flavor and flexibilty of the RD50 at the moment.

Ed

EdMan57 said:
I've had my RD50 head a few weeks now and totally dig it.Yes,the overdrive is fat and smooth,with harmoically rich sustain.That is until the treble and presence are turned up.Then it screams and cuts like the devil [Diavlo pun intended].Btw,I'm mostly running my RD50 head through a Celestion G12K-100 loaded Lopo Large Slant 1-12 cab,which appears to be a great sounding combo.The build quality was a pleasant surprise in that the switches,jacks and pots all feel rather like those on my quality USA and UK built tube amps [Mesa/Boogie,Bedrock,Hayden,Laney].Also,the built-in fan does a great job of keeping the circuit and tubes cool.The 4-band EQ is very flexible and is great for dialing in alll kinds of blues,classic rock and metal tones.The clean channel was also a surprise,as it's quite warm,dynamic and rich sounding.The spring reverb is well voiced,if maybe a bit subtle.Lastly,the series effects loop works well with my Boss DD-20,TC Electronic Flashback and AMT Stutterfly delays.Great job,Randall!

Can you share some of your EQ Settings? I'm having some challenges dialing this thing in.

dr_time said:
EdMan57 said:

Can you share some of your EQ Settings? I'm having some challenges dialing this thing in.

I find that the speaker/cab makes a big difference in the amp's tone and feel.Imho,the stock Diavlo speaker in the combo made the amp sound bright and stiff.The head through my Celestion G12K-100/Lopo cab sounds much fuller,punchier and just more organic than the combo that I briefly had.Another thing is that I swapped out V1 for a NOS RFT ECC83,giving the amp some added fatness and detail.Anyways,I like the rock/overdrive tones with the bass at around 2 o'clock,mids and treble around 11 o'clock.I get my high end detail by setting the presence on 1 o'clock for my Strat/Tele and at around 3 o'clock with my humbucker loaded axes.Btw,I prefer my higher gain tones more thick and juicy than cutting and bright.

Ed