Recto vs Grail

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few weeks ago, I did the R1, R2, & R3 changes to my Recto module. Also, converted C3 to .001u instead of the Grail cap value. The Grail cap value just seems TOO low.

I don't have a Grail to compare to. But I'd be willing to ship my module to a reputable, somewhat high post count member who has a Grail module....and a decent set of ears. All I'd ask is that they pay the round trip shipping costs in exchange for being able to play around with my modded Recto module free of charge for a few days.

Let me know if interested. I'd do this in trust and settle up the exact shipping charges for both ways after the module arrives back to me safe and sound.

BTW, I would ship the module without tubes. This way after giving the Grail a good listen (or possibly even making a recording), then you could remove its tubes and put them in the modded Recto module. Hopefully, this would even things up as much as possible.

This is not the same but I a/d'd the Recto and Grail quite a bit this morning with the same tube combination in each.

The Grail (to me) sounded a little more modern and harsh sounding..but only a touch...I had to dial back the treble about 10% to get 'em closer.

I think if you modded the Grail to have c3=0.001uf then it would sound better IMO...stock is 1/2 that @ 0.0005uf I believe...honestly so similar to the Recto (to my ears)..maybe if I went much louder it'd be different.

Here are the settings from my other thread:

Gain - 2 o'clock
Bass - 12 o'clock
Mid - 11:30 o'clock
Treble 1 to 2 o'clock (taste)
Level - 10 o'clock
Bright On

Modded with a brown looking 0.001uf cap. Ruby 12ax7c in v1 and JJ ECC83s in v2.

KT77s at 32, Master on 2 o'clock into my Hotplate at -8db thru to Mesa Recto 2x12 v30s. I can't recall the tube in v1 of the head...might be an RCA NOS Long blackplate ax7

Boosted with Keeley SD-1 - Level 12 o'clock, Tone 12 o'clock, Drive off.

Latest posts