ENGL e530 vs Salvation Mods Angel

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was curious if anyone has heard the Salvation Mods Angel. It looks awesome but then I started doing the math and wasn't so sure it was a great deal. If I can get a two channel ENGL e530 preamp used for around $450 why would it make any sense to get an Angel module for $449 + shipping. Unless it sounded a lot better (which is hard to imagine).

Anyone here ever heard the Angel?

Hiya,
angel sounds great...but is cost effective in an mts rig....if you want the engl and have room, get the engl...the beauty of mts is that you can combine multiple amps in one rig...
good luck!!

I've been down this thought process before- a buddy of mine actually snagged an e530. I never played through the e530, but I'll give some thoughts:

To level the comparison, compare a new e530 to a new mod, as opposed to a used e530 to new mod price
Also significant is the Angel is a handwired boutique product, as opposed to production line. This should lead to better tone and stability.

If you're running a live setup, no question you need to keep it mts. If you're talking about studio needs, well, now you may have a tough choice. The e530 sounds pretty **** good di, which means less hassle with mics and impulses.

I've owned an e530, and I thought it was lousy. Sounded like a poor man's Engl (which it is, I guess). I couldn't sell it fast enough. I have owned a lot of Engl heads, too.

I also own a Salvation Angel E. I love it. At low gain settings (which are actually very high gain), it sounds like the Powerball 2. Crank up the module gain, and it sounds like an Invader.

If you like Engl tone, I think you will be very disappointed with the e530.

Got a e530 and sold it just as fast, then bought a e570 which was soo much better. Settled with the e580 though which does what the e570 does but so much more.

Never tried a salvation ANGEL but the e530 does not compare to the more expensive engl preamps IMO, "you get what you pay for"..

hisroyalsucculence said:
but then I started doing the math and wasn't so sure it was a great deal.

You could have had a Line6 with dozens more simulations than the MTS series is capable of,
for a fraction of the price

...I think you're getting my point

Nightdare said:
hisroyalsucculence said:
but then I started doing the math and wasn't so sure it was a great deal.

You could have had a Line6 with dozens more simulations than the MTS series is capable of,
for a fraction of the price

...I think you're getting my point

Thanks for all the replies!

As far as Line6 goes, I don't want quantity over quality, and emulations are not quite there yet (short of Axe FX).

My last amp was Mesa Mark IV and I'm looking for that level of quality in my heavy gain tones. Before someone says, "well why don't you get a Mark IV then" I will preemptively respond and say that I'm focusing on recording now (as someone mentioned) and not playing live, thus the appeal of the e530 + impulses. I like the MTS system and have an RM22, but the stock modules I've owned so far aren't that impressive (XTC has been my favorite, but doesn't quite have enough gain for serious metal). I haven't owned an Ultra(+), Modern or other super high gain module so my experience is limited.

I will be sending my KH3 (which I think is poop) to get the Jaded Faith Trilogy Mod to see how much tonal magic can be done.

I must admit I am surprised how much the e530 is disliked here as there are some snippets of really impressive high gain and clean sounds on youtube for both direct + impulse and miked tones. For now however, I will explore MTS a bit more. If I find a super deal on an e530 I might at least try it out (can always sell it).

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what a different level the modded modules are on.

Jaded Faith does top notch work and I you will be floored when you get your EV3!

It's not that the e530 is crap. It's not. It can generate some pretty decent tones. But it doesn't sound like Engl high gain at all. That's why it was such a disappointment for me.

hisroyalsucculence said:
As far as Line6 goes, I don't want quantity over quality, and emulations are not quite there yet (short of Axe FX)

Then you missed my point but answered it with that anyway

For comparison, I have an ADA MP-1, so it would be pretty useless to get the MP-1 mod for it
but cost/feature wise as well, the mod would be twice the price of the real deal (once the price if I already have the donor), with the real deal giving me it's 'classic' solid state/tube clean and chorus as bonus

But the Angel isn't voiced after the e530 but among the e6xx series, none of which you'll find for a 2nd hand price lower than an Angel will set you back

Also keep in mind that the e530 -though it has a bypass- needs an A/B box (or 2) to work with you're MTS gear,
unless ofcourse you want to run it through the clean channel of your MTS rig, or your MTS running through the e530
(defeating the purpose of having a true Engl sound or any 'genuine' sound from your MTS rig)
So when taking into account buying a e530, also calculate an extra $100 for a GOOD A/B box (or 2)

Nightdare said:
hisroyalsucculence said:
As far as Line6 goes, I don't want quantity over quality, and emulations are not quite there yet (short of Axe FX)

Then you missed my point but answered it with that anyway

For comparison, I have an ADA MP-1, so it would be pretty useless to get the MP-1 mod for it
but cost/feature wise as well, the mod would be twice the price of the real deal (once the price if I already have the donor), with the real deal giving me it's 'classic' solid state/tube clean and chorus as bonus

But the Angel isn't voiced after the e530 but among the e6xx series, none of which you'll find for a 2nd hand price lower than an Angel will set you back

Also keep in mind that the e530 -though it has a bypass- needs an A/B box (or 2) to work with you're MTS gear,
unless ofcourse you want to run it through the clean channel of your MTS rig, or your MTS running through the e530
(defeating the purpose of having a true Engl sound or any 'genuine' sound from your MTS rig)
So when taking into account buying a e530, also calculate an extra $100 for a GOOD A/B box (or 2)
Exactly right. I've had 3 E530's and various incarnations of the Angel mod and found that ANY version of the Angel sounded more like an ENGL than the E530. I've also had a Savage 120, so I'm including that as a comparison piece.