Van Halen clip w/modded brown module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Made a few mods to my brown Randall MTS module... recorded with an RM100, GT75s, and a POS guitar I repainted with VH stripes for extra mojo. Overall volume was maybe a loud conversation. Put reverb hard panned to one side so it had the same vibe, but did not touch the recording otherwise - no eq or chicanery.

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/VanHalen2MTS.mp3

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/VanHalenMTS.mp3

Whattaya think?

Pete

Very nice, Pete. What did you aim for with this mod? It sounds to me there is a bit more bite in the mids. It has a lot of character. Did you notice this module has a real good clean sound too?
I totally love the Brown. I did an instrumental version of "Something" here:
www.myspace.com/tungle
using just the Brown.

T.

Thanks guys. I tightened up the low end with the typical bass mod... then added some sponginess back to the tone without flubbing the low end, if that makes sense. Stock the module wasn't bad, but once I tightened the low end, then the top was tight too... I wanted it spongy but with a defined bottom, if that makes sense.

I also put in a little more gain too, because that clip was at 50% gain, which is pretty low for a stock brown module.

Pete

Hey okstrat, I didn't know there was an actual module for the VH thing. Duh?It sounds pretty different form the EG3 I just did a clip for by comparison. You can get the EG3 closer if you want, but it is really its own animal - just reminiscent of VH. I have heard some very killer rock tones coming out of those modules for sure, but I haven?t heard many thick and juicy lower gain clips yet. If you have any lower gain modules, I?d really enjoy hearing what they are all about in your hands and recording chops.

John Czajkowski said:
Hey okstrat, I didn't know there was an actual module for the VH thing. Duh?It sounds pretty different form the EG3 I just did a clip for by comparison. You can get the EG3 closer if you want, but it is really its own animal - just reminiscent of VH. I have heard some very killer rock tones coming out of those modules for sure, but I haven?t heard many thick and juicy lower gain clips yet. If you have any lower gain modules, I?d really enjoy hearing what they are all about in your hands and recording chops.

Thanks John. I have some lower gain modules in transit... actually used the brown for cleans at the gig last weekend and it did fine. I'm just trying to get as much tone I can wring out of the randall stuff, as the egnater gear is too rare and expensive for me at this time. It all sounds good though!

Pete