MarkUs?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyster

Reaction score
I have a bunch of standard modules. I got into the MTS Series late, and I am looking for that Mesa Mark 5 tone. I like what I see from Salvation Mods. Any other Ideas? :D

Using RM-100KH, 2 Mesa 4x8 cabs with V-30s. Ian set, Hammet set, Scary, Tweed, Treadplate, 1086, Brown, Deluxe, Blackface, and some others.

Try the jaded faith MarkX from what ive heard from both the salvation unit (on the web) and from the Markx (LIVE AT MY HOUSE) the markX covers that classic master of puppets/AJFA era metallica and much more my 2nd favorite module only to the 59RR custom... its taking the right hand module bay on my rm50 and has since the day i got it!
-mp-

The MarkUs is more in the Mesa Mark IIC+ side, so it depends on what sound of the Mark V you're looking for?

The channel 3 on a Mesa Mark V has differents modes: Mark IIC+/Mark IV/Extreme

My MarkUs is my favorite module, just awesome; it has a a pre-gain Eq, as the Mesa, and the only thing I would say is that this module sounds fantastic.

I hope a day we will see a Mark V module by Salvation, based on the channel 3, with the 3 modes; that will be killer!!!!!

Anthony, can you hear me??????????????????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't tell you about the JF MarkX because I never played one, but people here seem very happy whith it.

Owned both and the Markus was a different beast - loved it. You can get so many killer tones from that not to mention the early few Metallica album tones. And it cleans up very nicely too - which was a nice welcome :)

Going to get me a new one here soon - only traded because an opportunity for a new Hwatt a few months ago.

I have a MarkUS and find it to be a unique tone. I don't mean in an oddball way, I mean in a usable and cool way. I have other tones I like for heavy and this is by no means a modern heavy -this is classic heavy. While it doesn't replicate any particular tone - it does classic Metallica better than anything else to my ear. I don't really know about the MarkV tone specifically but I saw the thread title and jumped in.

The MarkUs is also perfect for Dream Theater stuff.

If you like this kind of sound, this module is for you.

I really love it :wink:

I love the old classic stuff, Metallica, Prong, Anthrax, Pantera. Also want to find some thing that is good for Lamb Of God and so on.

Wow another Prong fan i love prong .... i still watch my teenage recoding of "the headbangers ball" and one of em has the video for "broken peace" on it I was instanly a fan after that tune...
-mp-

zepplin490 said:
Wow another Prong fan i love prong .... i still watch my teenage recoding of "the headbangers ball" and one of em has the video for "broken peace" on it I was instanly a fan after that tune...
-mp-

:lol:

I used to do the same thing man and I still have mine too, only mine has Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck and I think I have the Prove You Wrong video on one too.

I dig Prong too, have yet to see them, but I have seen Tommy Victor a sh!Tload of times with Danzig.

I bought a MarkV combo a month ago and I've compared it to the JF MarkX. MarkX nails Mark I (w/o thick switch), Mark IV and Scoop V EQ & it's got more gain than my MarkV IMO, plus it sounds (no flames intended) better at low volume :eek:

Add another vote for Prong's Prove You Wrong... And I recorded that video off headbanger's ball too! Who knew? I'm gonna have to google that one to see if it still catches my ear :)

I seem to recall a great sounding Mark mod demo/video from one of the modders who doesn't have a site? Seemed to really give that Boogie feel with a slight give in the tone? It's a whole lotta amp to try to get in a small module - love that some of the tones seem to be achievable.

Yeah,

I still dig out the old Prong Cds every now and then, haven't checked out any of their stuff since that time though. I remember in the late 90's they got all weird wearing leather pimp coats and playing Jackson/Charvel Surfcasters and stuff :lol:

And I'm not a Killswitch Engage fan, but they totally ripped off the Who's Fist Is This Anyway riff on one of their popular songs...

Sorry, can't comment on the Mesa's or modules, have not played any :lol:

My MarkUS should be arriving any day now. I'll post a crappy demo when I get it. I had Anthony do a 2nd channel clean mod on mine.

The Rossness said:
My MarkUS should be arriving any day now. I'll post a crappy demo when I get it. I had Anthony do a 2nd channel clean mod on mine.

That would probably make it along the same lines as the Mesa Studio Preamp, which is a cold dead hands piece for me. In my apartment I've got my MTS preamp and the Studio Pre next to each other and footswitchable. It's such an awesome sound and it sounds nothing like any of my MTS stuff.

Whoopysnorp said:
The Rossness said:

That would probably make it along the same lines as the Mesa Studio Preamp, which is a cold dead hands piece for me. In my apartment I've got my MTS preamp and the Studio Pre next to each other and footswitchable. It's such an awesome sound and it sounds nothing like any of my MTS stuff.

I didn't like the mark series for the longest time. I was always into more of an Orange flavour. However, I played a MKV with all the right settings and it sounded HUGE! I saw Dream theater a few years ago and now I totally getting why petrucci likes the Mesa's.

I'm on my iPhone now and can't post the link, but I saw a video of the Markus doing cleans and asked salvo to move the clean DIFF switch to the outshine of the mod as it was originally an internal one. He also gave the module a second channel of sorts. From what he says, my master volume is a push pull pot. When "in", it's the normal Markus module. When "pulled out" it activates the clean channel. I haven't played it yet and have no clue what kind of clean it does, but I'll post a thread when I can about all my new mods.

I had the MarkUs and didn't care fir it at all and I got slammed here on the forum for saying so. I'm very familiar with Mark series amps as I have owned a Mark IV and Triaxis and my other guitar player in my band has had one for 20 years. His Mark IV is a particularly great sounding one from early 90's. Some of my favorite guitar tones (Dream Theater, Sevendust, Metallica) have been recorded with a Mark IV (or similar Mark IIC+).

The MarkUs didn't sound anything like the Mark IV IMHO. I compared side by side as his amp (along with my Engl SE670) is my benchmark for all the MTS stuff I've got. I know it was modeled after a IIC+, but still, it didn't even sound good as it's own unique tone...
Very flubby on muted chords, couldn't get the gain stages to sound good.
The "Scooped eq" setting is so exaggerated it's unusable. (Kinda like the guys on a Crate at Guitar Center trying to play Slayer)

I'm also not slamming Salvation. The Angel is my favorite right now an I will be receiving my Angel E in about 2 weeks. BTW, I had Anthony make all the voicing switches more subtle. I believe he makes the voicing switches too exaggerated (at least on the Angel and the MarkUs). I thought it would be better with an an in between setting (maybe I should have asked for a 3 way switch?)

Maybe there was something wrong with my MarkUs because the clips sound killer, but I'm sticking to my story. (I did change tubes also)
....Bring on the complaints!

grbassist said:
I had the MarkUs and didn't care fir it at all and I got slammed here on the forum for saying so. I'm very familiar with Mark series amps as I have owned a Mark IV and Triaxis and my other guitar player in my band has had one for 20 years. His Mark IV is a particularly great sounding one from early 90's. Some of my favorite guitar tones (Dream Theater, Sevendust, Metallica) have been recorded with a Mark IV (or similar Mark IIC+).

The MarkUs didn't sound anything like the Mark IV IMHO. I compared side by side as his amp (along with my Engl SE670) is my benchmark for all the MTS stuff I've got. I know it was modeled after a IIC+, but still, it didn't even sound good as it's own unique tone...
Very flubby on muted chords, couldn't get the gain stages to sound good.
The "Scooped eq" setting is so exaggerated it's unusable. (Kinda like the guys on a Crate at Guitar Center trying to play Slayer)

I'm also not slamming Salvation. The Angel is my favorite right now an I will be receiving my Angel E in about 2 weeks. BTW, I had Anthony make all the voicing switches more subtle. I believe he makes the voicing switches too exaggerated (at least on the Angel and the MarkUs). I thought it would be better with an an in between setting (maybe I should have asked for a 3 way switch?)

Maybe there was something wrong with my MarkUs because the clips sound killer, but I'm sticking to my story. (I did change tubes also)
....Bring on the complaints!

OK, someone has to say it...

You are so off-base on this that it is not even humorous.

Your comments evoke fury in me.

I love my MarkUS.

But...

I have one simple comment to you sir...

Don't ever talk **** about Crate here ever again! :twisted: Don't even get me started on how cool GC is...