J.Faith OD Special (Dumble)&Rverb (Orange) modules WOW!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
I talked to Rob a while ago about doing a Dumble module and he built me the first one and I was pretty happy with it. Since then he 's had 4 revisions to it and I just got it back and played a gig tonight with it.. Holy s..... I'm a Les Paul blues/rocks player in the vein of the Alman Bros...sort of.....at any rate this new ODS can do great rhythum or lead guitar with humbuckers with great clarity and without taking peoples heads off treble wise and with no farting out on the low end. Roll the guitar volume down and it cleans up or turn it up for singing leads. I could have used this mod all night.. This group's a cover band doing Bowie/Clapton/Robbin Ford/Stones/Skynard/_Allmans/ Johnny Cash.. its all there... crazy great module.......Overdrive Fender better than anything Fender has ever done. ( I sold Fender amps for 25 years so I'm familiar with what they've done
This mod also works well with pedals. I use a Rotosphere and a Diamond compressor for my slide work and rhythum stuff sometimes..od boxes sound good too although the preamp doesn't really need them. Very different module for any guitarist that wants something very different but very friendly as well and so musical..,After owning and fighting with a number of Fuchs and Two Rock Dumble type amps this module is just something else, and it didnt cost $3000....
Can you tell I had a good night of playing?

Next Up is the Jaded Faith Rverb. I use this as a solo single note lead module. I had a very early version that I liked but was almost to warm sounding sometimes, like Orange amps can be sometimes...at least in a 2 guitar band setting. I never really told Rob that, I just sent it to him for an upgrade and hoped for the best. His ears for tone are unbelievable .....So I got this back with upgrades as well and well....wow.... more clarity ... still warm, but not to in your face like Marshall tones can be... just fat and full and singy and tight and big sounding...and just the coolest sounding overdrive English tones .....again...another home run....
People coming up to me on break and asking how the hell I get these tones... and as always I tell them part of it is my hands, part of it is the Randall RM50, and the last part of the equation is the Jaded Faith preamp modules....
thank you so much Rob D.... you did it again....wish I lived closer to LA for the Amp Show. Maine is far away....
Rod Wellles... Lewis -Welles Band

Hey Rod:

I'm right with you on the OD Special. I play in a classic rock cover band. We play Robben Ford's version of Cream's "Badge" and the OD Special is perfect for the lead break.

I suspect you and I are in the minority on this site ... we don't play metal so we have no interest in "super-saturated high-gain" modules. So I'm interested in your description of JF's Rverb. The OD Special is the only mod I've tried so far and I'm figuring out which module to get for leads such as Mark Knopfler, Atlanta Rhythm Section, etc.

I have an RM4 and my favorite selection so far is:
1. Stock Deluxe for clean and slight crunch rhythm tones
2. Top Boost (modded according to the Grailtone site's suggestion for less gain) for crunchy rhythm
3. OD Special for overdrive and singing blues
4. Either a stock 1086 or a stock Ultra for sustain leads such as Santana, Eagles.

Enjoyed your post. Keep in touch.
Graham

Rod

Your ear for tone and your descriptive capabilities are things I've always been a lil jealous of. Great review!! Been thinking about an rverb myself and I think this seals the deal for me lol. Congrats on some awesome mods and I've got to make it out to see you play again sometime.

Hi Guys...Thanks for the kind words...
.Matt, your videos and humor are just the best...
SShultz...How are you? on my gig schedule at www.rodwelles.com is the gigs...would love to see you
Graham...For lead work in the vein of what you and I play, either the Rverb module or Robs Hot Rod Brahma would work, however I think the Rverb is warmer and a bit fuller sounding...The mids are more polite...if that makes any sense... I find it to be a bigger tone maybe because the low mids are emphisized more than the high mids??? I have a hard time describing this stuff... Now mind you I've never heard a #39 or the RR mods or the Splawn Quick Rod one....Those are 3 different Marshall versions...maybe give Rob D. a call???
Maybe Mattfig can help us out with the tone differences of these?

The ODS is an awesome mod and fits perfectly in with my band but I thought I might add don't count out Robs Mark X mod.It's a mod that has more versatility than what you would think it would have. I've been using it for a lead tone at the last few rehearsals and it does that creamy smooth lead tone for blues/rock insanely well. For me it just seems to cut through the mix while still dripping with all that tasty cream.

Thanks to all for the kind words. The best part of doing what I do is hearing that I am inspiring you to do what you do! I don't take the fact you trust me with your tone lightly.

Here's my take to address any confusion on my Marshall-based mods:

- 59RR is my "do-everything-Marshall really well" mod. This will get you in the park for a huge range of classic Marshall tones.

- Take the 59RR to the next level with the 59RR Custom. Replacing the Diode Clipping with the option to add a gain stage is a very popular option for an already popular mod.

- Want "Brown Sound?" Go Brahma #39. This is the best tone I offer for that, with all folks love about the Brahma retained and the magic of the SIR #39 mods on top. It's the classic Cali Modded Marshall tones.

- Need a ton of versatility, crave hot-rodded Marshall and want cool options not found on any of the above? Go Quick Mod. This module had more R&D work than anything I ever built, and it shows.

The Rverb is all about the mids and they are very unique on that design. Not a mod that should be looked over and it often lives in my personal rigs.

Very true words on the Mark X as well. It does a lot more than heavy tones and is a great singing lead tone.

Hope that helps!

Rob

Two of my favorites also. I love high gain stuff, but I also love a nice singing/gritty tone. The Dumble has that.
Even though I don't use it all of the time, the RVerb may still be my favorite of Rob's mods. It just has the coolest tone. I just can't say it is Fender-like or Mesa-like or anything-like. It is just cool. I play a lot of different styles, so it is not in my rig all of the time. However, I always look forward to a gig where I can use it.
Matt Figg described it as a "beast." I would not say it is a beast in the sense that I would describe the XMG as a beast. I tend to use the RVerb as a mid gain amp. It is just beastly cool.