Is the 1086 good to stay?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hot rod5312

Reaction score
Recently I'm not using my 1086, planing to send it to mod, but I heard 1086 is discontinued, so I'm considering is it good to stay or go?
Any advise?
:)

1086 & Plexi Plus are identicle other than faceplate. The 1086 was a Dan Donnegan signature model. When he split from Randall, they just rebadged it the Plexi Plus. SL+ is a different beast altogether. The later blackplate versions are more voiced toward a JCM800 Marshall.

I kind of dug my 1086 when I had it, although I felt the scoop switch was worthless. It was instant mud. I did not think it sounded anything like the Plexi module either, so renaming it Plexi Plus is somewhat inaccurate.

In my opinion if the tone doesn't quite do it for you, send it off to get modded. I doubt you would be disappointed.

I've been using an RM4 on and off since '07 [when it works.] I just got an RM50[converted the combo into a head] a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to try to get some different preamp tubes for it. I tried the SL+ with it and dialed up a microphonic version of GnR . Guess I need new 12ax7s for the module too. So far I've got nine modules plus an SL is coming that I ordered from Egnater. I have a Top Boost [mildly modded] and an XTC[stock] that are the best sounding modules I have. The rest of the modules are waiting on coin to be modded.

Oyster said:
Keep it!! Mod something else.

I just picked up a JF modded 1086 in a trade- WOW!!! Yes keep your 1086 but yes send it to Rob!! Totally surprised me! Kicks the crap out of the stocker but keeps the flavor if that makes sense. I had to give up a very nice mod (Voodoo Scary which is badass in its own way) to get this but its very kick @ss. Its also got a tight/loose switch and a dark(Marshall)/bright(Modern) gain voicing option. Been using it to drive some Metallica covers with the band and it smokes!