Pretty cool story of the day

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xspiderfingersx

Reaction score
So my first class got canceled and i go to school right near a really fantastic boutique music shop here in south florida. I decided i wanted to head over to try out some reverb units to use with my RM100 head. After being really disappointed to find they didnt have a reverb pedal i liked, i got to chatting with one of the guys about what i'd be using it with.

He went in back after i told him the name of the head and came out with cardboard box, buried beneath shock mounts for marshall studio mics were four or five different Modules in the boxes! I guess they had an MTS in there for a few weeks on demo, decided not to go with it cause randall wanted them to sell the whole randall line rather then the MTSs alone, and they were alittle too hoity toity for them(solid state?!?! gooodness nooo haha)they sold the head i think loaded with whatever mods they had in it, and the rest of these were forgotten in back. 100 bucks a pop in the case!

The only one im interested in at any rate is the plexi since i dont have any of the mid gain modules, but its a good chance to try out the other ones with my guitars and ****.

Sweet story - just love it when stuff like that happens!

What reverb were you looking for. I bought a Holy Grail for my RM50 and I loved it.... for 3 days! Now it's noisy as crap and I can't get rid of it - cables, power supply, etc... so, I guess it's going back to Guitar Center for a Line6 Verbzilla. Reading up on Harmony Central this seems to be pretty standard for EH pedals - don't know if anyone has any other stories.

By the way, I played with putting it in front or the effects loop - nicer in front but not if you are using the MTS module for the distortion. So, it will probably sit better in the effects loop but I noticed a slight loss in sound quality and actually preffered the in front option - but that would mean distortion stomp boxes only at least if you switch between clean and distorted sounds a lot.

I'd say any day I get a legitimate excuse to skip class to go hook up good guitar deals is about as good as it gets! :)

On the reverb front, I've used both an incredibly old DOD R848 rackmount reverb and a Songworks Little Lanilei pedal with my RM4, RM100C, RM20B. Both are nice in that they are genuine spring reverb units. The DOD has a lot more control (2-band EQ) and much bigger tanks, while the Songworks is contained in a pedal that works equally well in front of the amp and in the FX loop ( http://www.songworks.com/reverb.html )

I sold the DOD when I sold my RM100, but I've still got the Songworks around... read up on it a bit and let me know if you're interested. I've gone all diigtal (Lexicon MPX-G2) yet again, so it's collecting dust at the moment.

--B

The reverb on my RM50 head is plugged into the parallel FX loop and controlled with the Effects knob. Egnater sells the tanks seperately and I would bet they are read to install.

ned said:
The reverb on my RM50 head is plugged into the parallel FX loop and controlled with the Effects knob. Egnater sells the tanks seperately and I would bet they are read to install.

I briefly looked into the Egnater tank for my RM100... I believe the RM50 has a hidden power connector for the reverb tank that the RM100 does not have. So I could have used the tank in the RM100's loop, but would have had to come up with a make-shift means of powering it.

--B

Awesome deal - hey spider do they still have a few left? The ones you don't want of course, let me know their number or website - if you could.

Thanks!

RE: Reverb Tanks - from what I know it doesn't need any kind of power connector, just drive it from the line level out of the parallel loop and mix in the output using the knob. You can probably get an accutronics tank with a source impedance of 600ohms+ and with a load impedance of 2.2k+ (see the page here http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/ to build your part number). I haven't actually tried it yet, though... they are pretty cheap on ebay so for $25 it might be worth trying.

B-
I have an MPX-G2, but decided that it's too expensive to take to gigs, so it's in the studio now, how does it compare for "tone suck"? I have been playing with my Boss GT8 a bit and decided that I am really losing the 3-dimension nuances with it - everything just kind of sounds compressed and one-dimensional. Even with the guitar going straight to the amp and the GT8 on the serial effects loop for delays, chorus, volume - I am losing quite a bit of "fidelity" you can't really hear the strings individually they sound more like one note (if that makes any sense) - does the G2 do the same thing? I am currently migrating back to pedals... for the first time since the late 80's - dig them out and dust them off :)

drunton said:
I have an MPX-G2, but decided that it's too expensive to take to gigs, so it's in the studio now, how does it compare for "tone suck"?

I know what you mean about the non-3-dimensional feel of the GT8. I find the Lexicon to significantly better from a tone & feel perspective... one thing that helps is that if you are not using any pre-FX on the Lexicon, it will run as true bypass, so it is like having the guitar plugged straight into the amp. Even when the pre-FX are engaged, the Lexicon does not seem to load down the pickups as much as the Boss does. (I tend to run the majority of my FX in the FX loop)

One factor that may help is that you can set the Lexicon on top of the amp and therefore get away with much shorter cable runs... when I was using the GT8 and the 4-cable method I probably had 60+ feet of cable running between the guitar, GT8, and amp... that can't be good for tone under any circumstances.

--B

Yeah I've been in cahoots with rooster at trailer trash b/c he's going to put all of my stuff together once i've accumulated all of it and he warned me about the holy grail, said something along the lines of they wont stay in signal chain forever and they dont have much shaping control. I've heard really good things about the boss reverb unit, but my personel experience with them has never shown much promise, but then again it was hooked up to a roland combo on a display at sam ash.

bduersch: send me an email to discuss your pedal a little further(pricing and tones) [email protected]